17-55mm IS Mourning Period

ben_quinn1

<p>I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5D mk II, which means giving up my 17-55mm IS . I want to know if there are others out there who have done this and was there was a grieving period for the 17-55 IS and how did you cope with the loss.<br>

N.B. I had the 24-70 for a long time and dread the thought of having to carry that beast around with me again.</p>

<p>Ben that is probably the 1 downside of moving up in the DSLR world. I went from a 300d to a 40d to a 5D2. The numbers may be smaller :-} but my lenses and gear keep getting larger and heavier. I kept my 40D ( dumped my EF-S lens which was a 10-22 ) but I am considering now selling off the 40D and getting another rebel to take when I don't want to lug around the 5D2. That being said I would sell the 17-55. I see no reason to keep EF-S lenses even if you keep both bodies. Why not get something that can work on both bodies. If the size is an issue go with the 24-105. and use a prime when light is low. The high ISO performance of the 5D2 will offset that 1 stop you loose and its size and weight are very manageable. </p>

<p>Yes I agree I am actually considering doing without mid-range zooms and use a non-L 35mm and 85mm prime combination. Its not just the size and weight but also the focal length/aperture the 24-70 is too short for portaits and th 24-105 is too slow. I also have the 70-200 L f/4 which I will obviously keep for the FF.<br>

On the other had I'm sure the 24-105 is a killer lens for video mode...</p>

<p>I prefer faster lenses too, however, with the ISO capability F4 is usually fine. I shoot a lot at 3200 ISO with little or no noise. I was not that impressed with the 24-105 on my 40D but on the 5d2 it's excellent. </p>

<p>I worried about this, too, but it turned out to be a non-issue. The 5d2/24-105 is better than the 30d/17-55 in every way.</p>

<p>Most important, it is wider (the 17mm end of the APS zoom is only 28mm on full frame) and that difference is enough that I don't feel that I need to carry around the equivalent of the 10-22 for most projects. Plus, it's longer, although this is less significant since modest cropping is always possible. And, it's dust/water-resistent (which was never an actual problem with the 17-55, but a constant worry in very dusty places).</p>

<p>The downside? The f/4 aperture is actually more shallow than I expected at the long end, and can give more subject isolation (at least that's how it feels) than the 55mm end of the APS zoom at f/2.8. The extra speed on the APS zoom is a non-issue because the 5d2 works so well at high ISO. Finally, I do find that the 24-105 at f/4 is really very sharp, and I never felt that the 17-55 was as crisp until I stopped it down to f/3.2. Maybe I had a dud, but that's what I found.</p>

<p>In all, it is a 100% no-regret decision.</p>

<p>Yeah, I hear ya man. I also upgraded a while ago and was selling my 17-55 IS. I also sold my 30D, 40D and ef-s 10-22, but when the guy came to my house to pay a nice amount for my 17-55, I had second thoughts and told him "sorry not for sale". Now I am left with my 24-105+5dmkII and let me tell you that it is a wondurful match, pretty much like my 17-55+.30d+40D. So I still have it there and waiting to see if the 60D offers real upgrades from the 50D, at least video. I felt I was going to miss it too much since 80% of my most memorable shots were taken with that lens. We shared a lot together and will never let go.</p>

<p>Feeling better about this now, I had 10 minute change curve to work through. Thinking about it I use primes in low light so I should be fine with the f/4. But now my 50 f/1.4 will no longer be a portrait lens so I'll have get a 85mm which is shame too as I love the bokeh on the 50mm. </p>

<p>I agree with one thing, whatever you do with the EF-S lens, the 24-105mm IS is a sweetie. Get it for the discount when you get the 5D Mkii.</p>

<p>My EF-S general lens was a 17-85mm IS and I'm still a fan and use it on my two APS-C bodies, but the 24-105 just seems to produce such rich looking pictures together with the 24x36mm sensor.</p>

<p>Dealing with the same issue. Currently have the 17-55 for the Xti and the 17-40 for the newly (well, it was bought used) acquired 5D.<br>

I find I don't have any great need for the 2.8 on such a short zoom. Yes, the IS is nice and the bokeh is better than the 17-40 but, overall, the 17-55 is not significantly better than the 17-40 on the crop camera, for my purposes. Plus, the 17-40 also serves as a superwide on the 5D and as a short zoom on the Xti almost equivalent to the 17-55.<br>

So, I am about to sell the 17-55 to help pay for a 24-105 (new). I have the 50 f/1.8 and the 85 f/1.8 to fill in on both bodies.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had the 24-105 for a while then later purchased the 17-55. Then sold the 17-55 and went back to the 24-105 when I upgraded to the 5D Mark ii. For me I thought the 17-55 was slightly, but not significantly, better in terms of image quality. The 24-105 is of better (L) build quality. I don't think you can go wrong with either. And as JDM says a good deal purchased as a kit (24 w/mark ii).</p>

<p>I have a hard time finding it on their web site, but I wonder if KEH would sell you the kit at a good price. They are based in Atlanta, GA. Might be worth giving them a call. Most people only think of KEH for used stuff, but their prices on new gear are often identical to B&H and Adorama.<br /> </p>