D-50 Built-in Flash

mohammed_ettouney

<p>My question is very simple, and i am sure there must be a simple answer to it: How can i force a flash shot while i am in the auto mode?<br>

This situation arise when i have a subject with a strong back light and i am trying to have a self timer. the flash do not come on when i start the self timer. so, i always end up with a dark subject and bright background.<br>

i know that i can force the flash in the manual mode, but i want something simple.<br>

Am i missing something? or this is the price i pay for going the SLR rout: to make my life complex?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Are you using one of the A,P,S, modes or one of the other auto modes? In my opinion, learning to use manual mode will be the simplest solution in the long run. Flash should fire every time when used with A, P, or S mode if raised. When you say the flash does not come on, are you manually raising it before the self timer starts?</p>

<p>I guess you are shooting in Auto mode that is marked in green color.</p>

<p>Based on my old and forgotten experience with D70 (not D50 !), in this mode you cannot control the flash yourself. If there is enough ambient lighting, then the flash will not fire, even if it was poped up automatically by insufficient light.</p>

<p>Also, since you placed camera on self timer, possibly you did not cover the viewfinder and additional light coming through the viewfinder could have possibly overestimated amount of light during pre-flash determination.</p>

<p>Change to Portrait mode or Landscape mode, and popup the flash yourself. Cover up the viewfinder with the little part that came with your camera (that usually gets lost), if you are not looking through the viewfinder during exposure and covering it with your face.</p>

<p> Dear Mohammed, as Frank points out, in the D50 and most SLR cameras, using the green mode, the camera decides for you. Answering to your question "How can i force a flash shot while i am in the auto mode?" You can't, just because the auto mode does everything, without letting you decide.<br>

I guess you should learn to shoot in P or A and learn how to ( and how not to) use the flash. That way you can use the flash and the features of the camera to your convenience.<br>

Cano</p>

<p>WOW!!<br>

What a friendly and GREAT bunch of people. I love you all.<br>

Your help and advice are greatly appreciated.<br>

i think all of you politely told me to get off my #$% and start using the non-auto features in the D50! after all, that what i paid for.<br>

i follwoed your advice, and tried the different modes. All work fine, and i can get the flash to fire whenver i want.<br>

Again, thanks a million. Very very appreciated.</p>