ETRS Newbie needs set up advice.

glenn_roberts

<p>Hello, hope someone can assist me. I've just purchased a Bronica ETRS after many years of wanting to dabble in medium format. I've used an OM system for years. I'm feeling a little bit "fish out of water" at the minute.</p>

<p>I wonder if anyone can answer me a couple of questions. <br>

When the exposures are taken, it seems from the instructions that you continue to wind the film onto the take up spool and merely remove it from the film back. The PDF manual is a little ambiguous to say the least! I'm obviously used to retracting the film into it's case and wonder if I'm understanding this correctly.</p>

<p>Secondly, when I press the shutter release, the shutter stays closed following the operation. I assume this is normal and wonder, is it best to cock the shutter by winding on straight away or leave the shutter closed as it is following taking an exposure until I next want to use the camera? </p>

<p>I'm somewhat excited by this big prehistoric looking clockwork lump and a little intimidated too! If anyone can advise I'd be very grateful. I may not be able to respond to any replies till the weekend as I'll be away from the computer so please don't think I'm being ignorant if anyone is kind enough to help. </p>

<p>Many thanks, Glenn. </p>

<p>I have too acquired a Bronica ETRSi recently and I am enjoying it immensely. Although I am not yet fully proficient with the camera, it seems to me that it is well resistant to misuse.<br>

Anyway, I read somewhere that, with MF lenses, it may be better not to leave the shutter cocked for long periods, to avoid putting much load on the springs. However, if you use the camera frequently, you shouldn't worry much about it.<br>

May I also remind you that, when the worse comes to the worse, you can find a used ETRS body for around $150 or even less? I think it is now high time for any 35mm-camera user to try MF photography.</p>

<p>Thanks very much for your replies chaps. Just got back to the computer. That's a big help. I agree that it's a good time to try medium format photography. I desperately wanted to do so when I was younger and heavily into photography but just couldn't afford it. There are obviously some good bits of equipment out there now within my reach.</p>

<p>All the best,</p>

<p>Glenn. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>I read somewhere that, with MF lenses, it may be better not to leave the shutter cocked for long periods, to avoid putting much load on the springs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don't worry about that too much. The lenses must have the shutter cocked to remove or re-mount them so if you had a camera with three lenses, at any one time at least two of them would have the shutter cocked.</p>