Leica MP Exposure Meter and Battery Problem

<p>I recently got a Leica MP and after putting about 7 rolls through it the battery died which I thought was unusual for having used it so little. I bought a new battery and put it in and the exposure meter won't turn on again and I can't figure out why. The camera is not in the B/Off position. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do other than bring my camera in to get looked at?</p>

<p>The two problems may be isolated. In my case, the first problem of MP eating through the batteries quickly was caused by putting the camera in a tight case or bag where the shutter may be depressed by movement of the bag or case during carry, causing battery drain if the dial is not in the B/Off position (and the shutter is cocked.) Does this ring a bell Justin?<br>

I have also encountered the second problem. If you know the batteries are still good, check the inside of the battery compartment for battery residue stuck to the base. A few times my meter worked again after I had scraped off the white, dust like residue with a small "minus" screwdriver off the base of the battery compartment. To this day, I am still not sure whether that was really the cause of the problem, but for some reason it worked.<br>

Did anyone here ever have the same problem with battery residue like me?</p>

<p>Michael, battery drain happens quite often to me because I usually forget to switch back to B/OFF after putting it back into the case. <br>

Of course, I am not saying that it would apply to Justin's experience. It might be that, or bad batteries, or something else.<br>

But I am glad to hear that cleaning the thumb cap (="battery compartment" in my words) worked for you, as it worked for me. By the way, how do you clean your thumb cap? Do you use alcohol as well?</p>