VueScan driving me crazy

<p>Dear all, <br>

I was thrilled to have VueScan installed in my 64-bit Windows and it works with my Dimage 5400 for the first time using a firewire.<br>

However, my ethusiasm did not last long. <br>

First: why my saved dng/tiff file of negative is always the inverted colours rather than the jpg file? Despite I can do it by ctrl-I in Photoshop, I cannot save them back in dng format.<br>

I have browsed all the helps but there is no answer.</p>

<p>thanks all.</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

There a two ways to get a tif/dng that is not inverted: <br>

1) In the output tab, choose TIFF File, then TIFF DNG Format, with appropriate names, file type, compression etc. Note that this type of output is not raw, but is modified by your choices on the color tab.<br>

You have probably been trying a variant of option 2 below, but this should give you inverted dng/tif files.<br>

2) In output tab, choose Raw File. Raw output with: Save (this should apply any dust removal you performed). Choose Raw save film (this setting should create an inverted negative), choose Raw DNG format if you want. This dng/tif output is not modified by the Color Tab settings.<br>

We are not using the 64 bit version, but this should work. Good luck.</p>

<p>Godfrey: I wil if I cannot fix it</p>

<p>Sheldon: I set it to negative and the jpg file scanned was not inverted</p>

<p>Don<br>

thanks for the advice. I had one file not inverted. I will try</p>

<p>Thank you all for the advices</p>

<p>When Vuescan goes haywire on me (and it's probably something that I did) I usually reset the program.<br>

Click File > Default Options. You will have to start over with where your files end up and everything else but it's gotten me out of a fix once or twice.</p>

<p>Also, if you're working with Vista I'd disable the User Account Control. It just doesn't work the way it's supposed too IMO. That in and of itself solved a whole host of issues for me.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

The two files probably are generated by using both of the options I listed above. The raw file should be generated by using option 2 above, which is on the lower part of the menu tab. You should turn off the TIF generation w/dng option closer to the top of the tab.</p>

<p>Thanks and did it. Newer problems will be the colour matching. Previously RVP scanned images looked brilliant but those from E100VS are not. I tried auto level but still there are dull and discoloured. Is there a solution?</p>

<p>Are you talking about the Jpeg or the DNG raw file. If it's the raw file, you get what's there from what I understand. There's a lot of information in the file so you can still fine tune it to your liking. But the point of raw is that you have the control over the process.</p>