Mamiya RB 350 APO or not?

norbert_laasch

<p>Hi,<br>

my longest lens for my RB is the 210 APO and I consider it as a very suitable lens for portrait work (sometimes combined with a softener :-) ). But for many situations (esp. for nature and landscapes) the wish for a somewhat longer focal length is coming up in me and I think about looking for a 350 APO. Concernin this lens I have the following questions:<br>

This lens is rather big and heavy. What about the practical use? Is the additional tripod holder really necessary? If yes, how should this lens be used with an extension tube (to shorten the minimum distance of 5 meters). If you are a user, would you buy this lens again? Or would you say that a 210 or 250 mm lens is enough for a RB?<br>

Lookin forward to your answers, Norbert</p>

<p>Hi Norbert,<br>

I have and use the 350 apo for the rz which is essentially the same but for the electronic shutter vs. mechanical shutter. I use this lens more than my 250 apo. I use it often with extension tubes and it works superbly. BUT I am a toolmaker and have designed and built my own extendable lens holder that will allow either or both tubes to be used. I don't think it would be a good idea to use tubes without some kind of support though I have often used the 350 with no tubes and no support without any ill effects. The reason I use it is that the longer focal lengths narrower depth of focus wide open and narrower field of view which works well for limiting distracting elements from the frame. If you hare handy with tools I could give you some ideas on how to extend the lens support bracket so tubes can be used.<br>

Mark</p>