40D failing shutter?

rumelo.amor

<p>1. Sorry if this has been asked before, I remember reading about this problem here some months back but I can't seem to find the thread, maybe my search keywords are wrong. <br /> <br /> The shutter button on my 40D works fine when I half-press for the auto-focus, but several times when I then full-press to take the shot, nothing happens. I press again and most times it then works. This problem comes and goes; I first noticed it some months back. My shutter count is currently at around 70,000. I remember somebody suggesting that maybe it is caused by dust particles in the contacts, can this be so? Or is it the shutter button? I feel that the button wiggles around too much now. I was hoping that maybe it was just dust or the button but I fear it is the shutter. Can somebody enumerate the signs of a failing shutter? I've done a search in Google and here in photo.net but there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list. I don't have vertical lines or bands or other artefacts in my images, just the sometimes non-responsive shutter button. And I know it isn't because the camera hasn't acquired focus because it clearly has.</p>

<p>2. Are there really no dedicated Canon service centres in Scotland? I've searched the Canon UK site and it seems the only Canon service centre in the UK is in Hertfordshire. For Glasgow, there is A.J. Johnstone & Co Ltd. Does anybody have any experience of their service?</p>

<p>I've had something similar happen twice to my 10D. Everything seems normal - that is, the focus locks and so on, but nothing happens when you press the shutter all the way. I don't know if this is the beginning of a failed shutter. In both cases, removing both batteries, and sipping a stiff drink while the camera resets has solved the problem. Afterward, you will have to reset all your menu and custom function settings. You won't forget to do that because after the camera resets, you'll hear that annoying beep when the focus locks.</p>

<p>There may very well be something going on with the shutter button, but before you continue along that path, be very sure it isn't because you are using One Shot focusing and not achieving focus when you press the shutter button. You should see the green dot in the viewfinder light up if focus has been achieved. If focus isn't achieved, you cannot press the shutter button.</p>

<p>As for the problem being the beginnings of a failed shutter, that is unlikely, or at least more likely is that the shutter button needs to be cleaned or replaced. There are even do-it-yourself instructions, although I wouldn't do it myself.</p>

<p>Phil, that stiff drink is most inviting. I don't really have elaborate custom functions set so this won't be a problem.</p>

<p>Nadine, I am on high-speed continuous shooting when I experience this, and I know focus is achieved because I hear the beep and see the selected focus point light up. I am getting my hopes up that this indeed isn't the beginnings of a failed shutter, and it's only the button needing cleaning as you say. I've seen such a cleaning guide in flickr,</p>

<p> Canon 30D Shutter Button Repair! [8/365] [Dec 10]

<p>but I'm obviously not as courageous as these guys. I hope it doesn't cost too much in A.J. Johnstone. Also, there's some advice about "twisting" the shutter button a few times:</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_photography/discuss/72157607320431790/</p>

<p>It seems to work, for now, but I know the dirt is still there, if indeed dirt is what's causing it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick replies.</p>

<p>It's not your shutter, it's your shutter release button. The 40D has a known issue with a defective shutter release button, and the only true fix is to send it in and have it replaced. If done by Canon U.S. the cost will be $180 plus tax and shipping. I tried the "rotating the button fix" when mine started frequently behaving erratically and for some reason it pretty much became useless afterward. I never knew if the shutter was going to fire or not after that. You may have better luck with it but eventually the shutter button will become completely unpredictable and at a most inopportune time will more or less completely fail. My suggestion would be to send it in and have it repaired properly when you have a lull in your shooting schedule.</p>

<p>I just wish Canon would pull their heads out of their asses with regards to quality control. I skipped the 1D3 in favour of the 40D because of all the focusing problems being reported with the former and instead got a camera with a known faulty shutter release button. They're great cameras when they work, but every Canon body I've ever owned has had to go in for service at least once, and some multiple times.</p>

<p>I experienced the same thing two months ago, check out the posts below. One thing I know for sure is that it is not your shutter, fail shutter will give you Error 99, I had that too with my 40D.<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00T3X9">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00T3X9</a><br>

<a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/785785">http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/785785</a></p>

<p>Quick fix that's worked 2 times for me.<br /><br />-Turn off the camera<br /><br />-Press the button hard for about 20-30 times<br /><br />-Do a circular motion (twisting) every time while the button is being pressed down.<br /><br />Try those steps first, then try the battery. If it works, it will work for a while, problem will occur again because the contacts beneath the button are dirty and the only way to permanently fix this problem is to open it and clean it. Good luck and please let me and others know the result, thanks.<br /><br />P.S. IeSee this problem more and more as the 40D is aging.</p>

<p>Sinh Nhut, that's the thread I was referring to, and can't locate in a search. The quick fix you describe has worked for now, and I'm also trying the battery as suggested by Phil and ricki, in his reply to your post. But it isn't reassuring to know that the problem will occur again and who knows when, even the camera itself doesn't know.</p>

<p>Frank and Nadine, I agree that the best course of action is to have it fixed, an increasingly unpredictable shutter button does not induce happy thoughts at all. I've called AJ Johnstone here and they have a no "estimate fee" policy, the guy I talked with says it costs between 20-60 GBP to clean and 148 GBP to replace the shutter (they had one replaced yesterday, he says).</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies, I'm relieved that the responses here point to the shutter button and not the shutter itself (although the ~70,000 actuations is an ever-present concern too). I will post here again if and when I've had a satisfying conclusion.</p>

<p>I know the shutter is rated at 100,000 actuations, but don't trust that claim. Mine failed at about 25k. I'm on my 2nd shutter now. Just keep shooting until you see one of these problems...<br />- Dark lines in the image<br />- Only half of the image is exposed<br />- Camera fires continuously on itself<br />- Repeated Error 99 even after you clean all the contacts, change batteries and swap lenses.<br />A new shutter here in the US costs about $250.<br>

Canon was very nice, they replaced the shutter for free even though I was 3 months out of warranty.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know the shutter is rated at 100,000 actuations, but don't trust that claim</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not a "claim" in any way! It's simply the MTBF - the Mean Time Before Failure (the average) that they've arrived at from testing: if one shutter fails at 1 actuation and another fails at 199,999, you still get a 100,000 MTBF...</p>

<p>What it's <em>not</em> is a promise, a guarantee (altthough in my experience Canon will do the right thing - I had a 30D shutter fail just past the warranty period with low actuations, and Canon UK authorised its replacement), or a <em>"claim</em> ".</p>

<p>I have a 40D and I recommend that you have your shutter release checked out right away. When I pressed my shutter button, I could sense a delay. When I used my flash, it was obvious something was dreadfully wrong. It wasn't syncing right. I had it checked and it was determined that the shutter release needed replacement. Once they opened up the camera, they found that the DC circut board was fried. Apparently the connection from the shutter release to the circuit board shorted out and caused the damage. The parts were minimal in cost; the expensive part was labor - $250 total.</p>

<p>Hi Rumelo,<br>

I had similar problem with my 10D last year. However, when I use vertical grip second shutter worked fine. After visiting repair shop they suggested to replace the shutter and that did not make any sense. I replaced the shutter switch and the procedure is out lined here:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QQsQ">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QQsQ</a><br>

(Sticky shutter release - Canon 10D Replacement of the Shutter Release Switch)<br>

I do not know shutter count and my 10D is still working fine. Never needed new shutter. Ordered parts from Canon. That was my first soldering job and worked fine. Hope this helps. Good luck!</p>