Where can you find 48mm UV and PL gelatin filter?

marc_felber1

<p>It looks like they are widely available. Look for "Canon 48mm Drop-in" anywhere that sells photo gear. Canon makes a circular polarizer in the drop-in holder which is probably the one to get (I believe you can rotate it without removing it). I'm not sure why you would need a rear-mounted UV filter.</p>

<p>You cut them out of standard gelatine sheet. Google Kodak Wratten Gelatin filters. You can't get a polarizing filter (and you wouldn't want one anyway since you can't rotate it).</p>

<p>You'd be better off getting a 48mm screw in filter holder ($75 from Adorama) and getting 48mm screw in filters. The gelatin filter holder was made for the use of special color correcting and ND filters which are easier to find in sheets than as screw in glass filters.</p>

<p>The 48mm drop in polarizer is still available (around $175) and can be rotated while still inside the lens via a small wheel.</p>

<p>Regards to Craig and Bob. I use digital and shoot raw. Will the 48mm screw filter work with the old 500mm F/4.5 lens? Do you really need a PL filter? I know you need the UV? I heard the UV is good for landscapes like Alaska with bright blue sky to darken the sky a little, but how would you adjust it on this type of lens? I works wonders on my 70-200 2.8 IS</p>

<p>Your lens should come with the 48mm drop-in gelatin holder. To use standard threaded filters you can buy a 48mm drop-in threaded filter holder. However, you cannot rotate the filters using this drop-in holder so if you want to use a circular polarizer effectively you need to purchase the 48mm Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter. </p>

<p>I am assuming that you are doing wildlife work with this lens so the only filter you really might want to get is the the drop-in CPL if you do a lot of shooting around water or reflective vegetation. You really don't have to have a CPL but I find that there are some conditions where it is incredibly helpful. I use mine perhaps 10% of the time but I work with a lot of water birds under the intense Texan summer sun. Your mileage will vary depending on your subjects and your local lighting conditions. The UV filter isn't going to accomplish much and you don't need any warming filters (or any colored filter for that matter) when using digital. A set of ND gels for the gelatin holder might be useful if you need to keep your shutter speed low and still use "wide" apertures but as Bob recommended, a the threaded drop-in is your best bet if you need ND filters. </p>

<p>I too shot in texas heat, but one other question how to you protect the front of the lens from breakage. I am new with this lens. I guess I can get the screw in filter and just sell the Gelatain drop in filter. Also, the only use of the ND gels would be for water falls. But I only have been to one or two water falls in the last two years Israel Golen Heights and Iguzu falls. Does B & H sell the gels?</p>

<p>Use the hood to protect the front of your lens. I own the 600 f/ IS and the front element IS a protection glass. Not sure about yours. however, I get the feeling that you are one of the people that put a protective UV filter on your lenses. In this case, you cannot.</p>

<p>Derrick please understand I am new at this. This is the first time having a lens this size. So the only filter I would only need than is the PLC filter or ND. Who sells these can you buy the B + W screw in filters or do you have to buy them direct from canon? This is for the 48mm drop in filter</p>

<p>OK to clear up any confusion there are three drop-in filter options:</p>

<p> 1)Gelatin holder... should come with your lens (if not this can be ordered from Canon)<br>

2)the rotating circular polarizer (widely available, I've posted amazon links out of sheer laziness) <br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Drop-Circular-Polarizing-Filter/dp/B00009R6X1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245968775&sr=8-2">http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Drop-Circular-Polarizing-Filter/dp/B00009R6X1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245968775&sr=8-2</a><br>

3)a filter holder with 48mm threads (also available nearly anywhere and takes most 48mm filters)<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Drop-Filter-Holder-Regular/dp/B0007NIB5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245968775&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Drop-Filter-Holder-Regular/dp/B0007NIB5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245968775&sr=8-1</a></p>

<p>The 500/4.5 does NOT have any provisions made for a front filter (and boy would it be expensive). Use your lens hood for protection. </p>