40D Firmware Not loading properly

darren_sukul

<p>Hi<br>

I upgraded from firmware 1.0.3 to 1.1.1 for 40D. Now everytime I start up the camera, I have to take the battery out and put back then it works. Otherwise, I get Error 99. It seems to me like the new firmware is not slaying loaded. I also noticed that when I try to reintall the 1.1.1 firmware, it says "1.0.3 -> 1.1.1" instread of "1.1.1 -> 1.1.1".<br>

I've tried cleaning lenses, contacts, trying different battery, lens, CF card. but it seem like the problem is with installation of firmware. I installed firmware by connecting camera to computer then using canon software to load firmware to camera and install.<br>

Any suggestions would be helpful.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Darren</p>

<p>Did you follow all instructions..?<br>

Download the update, execute it on the computer then load the resulting file - not the downloaded one - onto a freshly formated card in the root folder, insert the card in the camera, power the camera up and go to the update menu...</p>

<p>Darren<br>

Look like you have not updated the firmware properly. You may need to follow the instruction provided by CANON very carefully. I have just update firmware of my 50D, everything go through fine. So don,t give up, try it again.</p>

<p>Darren<br>

Look like you have not updated the firmware properly. You may need to follow the instruction provided by CANON very carefully. I have just update firmware of my 50D, everything go through fine. So don,t give up, try it again.</p>

<p>Major points:</p>

<p>Reformat the CF card <em>in the camera</em>.<br />Use a card reader to download the firmware to the card from the PC.<br />Insert the card in the camera.<br />Turn the camera off and remove the battery for at least 10 seconds (Canon says 2 secs. minimum).<br />Replace the battery, turn the camera on, go to the menu and select "format". The new firmware version should be shown there.<br>

Reformat the card.<br>

Also, I recall that the instructions for the 20D said to remove the lens before installing firmware. I don't know if it applies to the 40D or not (it doesn't for the 5D Mk. II), so check the download instructions at the Canon site.</p>

<p>I tried everything, it still doesn't work.<br>

I tried different battery, flash memory card, smaller card, larger card, cleaned lens/camera contacts, reset with both batteries.<br>

One thing I noticed about upgrade was that during the upgrade progress bar goes to 31% then jumps to 99%. Not sure if this is the issue.<br>

Has anyone else noticed this?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One of the sigma lenses were having issues focusing once in a while.. I wouldn't mind downgrading to the old version. But I can't find it online. I wish there was an archive of all the old firmwares. But I did try 1.0.8 which had the same issue.</p>