Nikon FG light meter problem

christin_buehrer

<p>I have my grandpa's old Nikon FG camera and I've shot with it for two semesters, using strictly B&W film. Over the summer I decided to put some color film in it just to play around with, but now my light meter won’t work correctly. Instead of telling me the correct shutter speed I need for the f/ stop I've chosen, it just blinks whatever shutter speed I have it set on. I've never had any problems with the meter before and except for a couple of weeks non use I haven't done anything different with it.<br>

<br>

Thanks for all your help </p>

<p>I am assuming you are using the FG in Manual mode. If so a blinking LED would be the shutter speed the FG recommends using for correct exposure. A steady LED would indicate what you have manually set.<br>

I would put fresh batteries in the camera.</p>

<p>Does just ONE light blink ? Do you have a flash mounted ? I think the LED will blink if the flash isn't putting out the right amount of light.</p>

<p>I'd pull the lens, the flash, and pull the batteries. Check your film speed select dial. Make sure the film is advancing as you wind. Set it to manual, not A or P mode, and see if the light moves as you turn the shutter speed dial with out blinking.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>Yes I have, when the batteries die no light shows up on the meter at all and when you push the shutter button it stays closed.</blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>Sometimes just at the point where the battery has just enough juice that it's still lighting up the meter and the shutter is still working,the FG will do what your FF is doing or just light up and shut off once you change the shutter speed in manual mode....I would recommend new batteries,that's probably all it is....I just loaded some old marginal batteries in a FG just to see and got the same thing....loaded new batteries...problem solved.<br /></blockquote>