Quantum

brooke_eaton1

What kind of kit? Most people that use quantum strobes dislike the weight factor because you need a bracket for most of their strobe units. The Trio can be mounted on your cameras hot shoe, but it is pretty expensive, running you around $900.

The Quantum X series strobes are rated at 400 watt seconds. The T series is around 150 to 200 ws, depending on the model.

The batteries are wonderful, they recharge in just a few hours, and last several years, before you need to replace the batteries.

Although I only use Quantum systems right now, there are lot of other options to consider, such as Metz, Canon 580's, Nikon sb800 and the sb900, Sunpak, and even Vivitar's such as the 285. If you like manual powered strobes the Norman systems are excellent, such as the 200 and 400 ws strobes.

<p>Brooke, I don't use a Quantum but I'm considering the Quantum T5d-r unit which is more powerful than your average (Canon / Nikon) speedlite but it fits on a camera and can but used as a great off camera unit for a lot of creative lighting (if you have the time for that at a wedding: they move so fast!).</p>

<p>Here's a link to "technical" information: http://www.google.com/search?q=quantum+t5d-r+flash&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a</p>

<p>But, here's a link to<em> practical and real use</em> of the above unit by an experienced wedding photographer who is Very experienced (so he knows how to use it). He uses the above flash unit for most all of his shots and he uses it mostly as an off camera source. He many times will use more off camera flash units at a reception too. Fires his off camera units via "Freewire". All this equipment is expensive but I understand that it's powerful and give you more light. I'm not sure it fits my hectic style though. His blog is: http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/</p>

<p>If you are talking about off camera use only, IMHO, you will not be utilizing the majority of the technical capabilities of a unit such as a Quantum T5D or Trio unless you have confidence in and use their TTL system. I use off camera flashes in manual flash mode, as I think TTL systems used this way are too variable. This being the case, just about any flash that can be controlled via manual, partial power will be just fine. The Quantums are expensive, so one should be very sure of making use of their capabilities to get the most out of them.</p>

<p>One factor is the parabolic reflector as opposed to the rectangular reflectors on most shoemounts (and even on the larger Metz handlemounts). I like parabolic reflectors for the kind of pattern they give, and they are larger than most shoemount reflectors, even if the difference is slight. However, you do get a more gradual fall off, and one can actually feather the flash, whereas the fall off on a shoemount is rather harsh. A common misconception is that parabolic reflectors give softer light. That isn't true.</p>

<p>Another factor is that the Quantums have more power. You have to weigh this, though, against the fact that the Quantums don't zoom--they typically have 2 reflector positions. In the wide angle position, you lose a stop. Shoemounts have incremental zooming capabilities and zoomed to 105mm , will have 'more' power or equivalent power to the Quantum, if a somewhat stunted flash pattern.</p>

<p>I use 2 Sunpak 120Js, plus shoemounts, depending upon the situation.</p>

<p>You are welcome, William. Remember that while a shoemount zoomed to 105mm would, on paper, have 'more' power than a Quantum Q flash (Quantum is about 150 at the normal setting, Canon 580EX is 190 at 105mm setting), the flash beam pattern is very different. If you haven't already done tests yourself, you'd be interested to see what I mean. When you zoom a shoemount, the flash pattern is narrowed on the lanscape orientation, not on the portrait orientation, so if you were to use the flash landscape, zoomed to 105mm, on a vertical shot like the couple, for instance, the flash pattern whould not fully cover the frame of your vertically held camera. The answer is, of course, to hold the off camera flash sideways, but this doesn't help either, if you need a flash pattern that isn't so skinny. Just thought I'd mention.</p>

Brooke - "I'm wanting an off camera system,..."

You can use Quantums as your off camera strobes, but they are a lot of money. You can use a Vivitar 285 and achieve pretty much the same results and save yourself about $500 per unit, perhaps more. You can pick up these Vivitars for under $100. For an off camera flash unit you can't beat the price and the quality.

There are disadvantages with standard flash units, in which Quantum shines, such as using the bare bulb features of the Quantums. If done correctly bare bulb lighting is simply beautiful. You can't match this type of lighting with a standard flash. You can save a lot of money by buying the 120J or a used Norman system. Hope this helps with your choices of lighting.

I'm still confused about what you want to do. Are you looking for a second light for the formals or for the reception? For reception lighting I really like White Lightnings, or their sister company Alien Bees. These strobes plug into the wall so you don't have to worry about batteries. Some of the lower wattage strobes will accept battery packs. One of the biggest advantages with these strobes is the use of modelling lights as well as bare bulb. These lights are also wonderful for portraits using umbrellas and softboxes.