LR 2.3 problem/question

<p>I use LR 2.3 on both a laptop (Vista) and a desktop (XP). I have a 320 gig portable HD that I use primarily w/ the laptop and an external 1TB HD I keep connected to the desktop. When I transfer images from my CF cards my procedure is (usually) to connect the 320HD to the desktop and save the images to it while backing them up to the 1TB drive for storage. I do this via LR interface and work off the 320 HD drive in LR (I don't put any images onto either machine's internal drives to keep thing simple and conserve space). In this scenario the 320 HD is the G: drive and the 1TB is the J: drive.<br>

Yesterday I transfered some new images with a different procedure (no desktop involved). I connected the 320HD to the laptop and transfered the images to LR via the LR interface. Here's the problem - in My Computer the 320HD is now called the I: drive and LR only recognizes the images I transfered yesterday. The G: drive is still in the LR navigator pane but the images are not available since this drive is mapped as the G: drive. How could the drive mapping have been changed from G: to I:? That seems to be the problem in a nutshell.<br>

Will I have to reimport all my photos from what is now the I: drive or is there some way to reconfigure the drive so that LR will recognize it and restore my DB?</p>

<p>Re-importing is almost never the answer, but if you haven't done anything yet with the images (apply metadata or develop settings) then it wouldn't be a horrible thing to do.</p>

<p>You should configure both machines to apply the same drive letter to the drive. Then you can just right-click on the missing folders and select "Find Missing Folder" from the context menu to point LR to the correct location.</p>

<p>It usually depends on other drives in the system. I always assign external storage drive letters way up in the alphabet, so when I have a temporary 'H' drive, my main backup won't show as 'I'. It will always be 'Z'.</p>

<p>Unless LR is making partitions, and/or renaming drives on its own but I doubt that.</p>