Kodachrome is no more :-(

r.t. dowling

<p>Just in case anyone hasn't heard the news: Kodak is discontinuing Kodachrome. For real, this time.</p>

<p>Read more at:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00Tj1r</p>

<p>Now would be a good time to dig out your Pentax film cameras and shoot a few rolls of this truly unique film while you still have a chance.</p>

<p>I'll be ordering a few rolls today to run through my Nikon EM and Pentax P30T.</p>

<p>Kodachrome 64 was my film of choice, I have 6 rolls left. It will be the end of an era for me. Here in Canada, Kodak doesn't develop this film anymore, I need to send my exposed film to Dwayne's in the USA.<br />Most publications now accept digital submissions, and it is cheaper for me to shoot with my digital camera than with my 35mm camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here in Canada, Kodak doesn't develop this film anymore, I need to send my exposed film to Dwayne's in the USA.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It isn't just canada, there is nowhere in the <strong>world</strong> that develops Kodachrome aside from Dwaynes.</p>

<p>Truthfully, I am surprised Kodachrome lasted this long, when I was first getting into photography it was my film of choice, and was for a long time because of the grain, resolving power, and natural colors (vs Velvia).</p>

<p>But it had a few issues, ONLY Dwayne's developes it, and it isn't a great film for scanning since many modern features of a scanner can't be used with it. The lack of processing though really was the killer. <br /> <br /> In the late 1990s you could drop K64 off at any lab and it would be sent out and back in the same time as any slide film, once it became a production to use it, I stopped.</p>

<p>eventually found I really liked Provia, although I will admit, K64 has a sort of "etched" that I have not seen as well on any E6 emulsion. It's a shame it's gone but in reality Kodak hasn't supported the film in a decade, and I'm surprised it made it this long.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There's a K1000 at a local camera shop in great shape. I think I might buy it now, and some Kodachrome 64. It would be my first non-digital SLR - and I'd like the chance to shoot Kodachrome before it's gone for good.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good for you Mike. Both Kodachrome and the venerable K1000 are worthy of being used by any photographer at least a few times.</p>

<p>For those who have not seen it, Kodak has a nice little slide show: <strong><em>A Tribute to Kodachrome</em></strong> on their site.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/cpq/features/featuresIndexUS.jhtml?pq-path=522">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/cpq/features/featuresIndexUS.jhtml?pq-path=522</a></p>

<p>I've seen PhotoShop do a lot of neat things in the photographs on Photo.Net. Never seen a post processing computer trick that can reproduce THAT.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>nowhere in the <strong>world</strong> that develops Kodachrome aside from Dwaynes</p>

</blockquote>

<p>as a native Kansan (you can always tell a Jayhawker, but you can't tell him much...), it makes me choke up with pride.</p>

<p>I did not forsee this day when, as a man-child, I bought my brand-new Heiland Pentax H2 at A-Smile-A-Minute Photo in Salina, KS, and loaded my first roll of Kodachrome (ASA 10).</p>

<p>BTW, my comment should say has sort of an "etched" in look when you look at the slide. Unfortunately, web commenting on a smart phone, netbook, or pocket PC as I do a lot, or just in the middle of work on a real computer tends to make stuff a mess.</p>

<p>Anyway, sad to see it go!</p>