Kodachrome K64 has been discontinued...

<p>BUY EKTACHROME!!!!!! Long live E6. I blame myself I only shot 1 roll of Kodachrome in the last year.... It is not Kodak's fault. The EPA may have had a lot also to do with it.. Kodachrome processing left real nasty chemicals.. No I never blame the company... That is what is wrong with the world today. I want no part in that.<br>

Count the rolls of Kodachrome you shot in the last 3 years then add that up to the other rolls you shot in that time. Place blame where it is due.</p>

<p> Larry</p>

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Actually, Josh, K64 will be sold out by early fall according to EK's own estimates. I believe it will be a lot sooner than that given the hoarding that is already taking place.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know what the press release said, I also know what I heard in meetings at Kodak last week. Either could turn out to be true. But I went with my ears rather than the piece of paper. The film isn't all spooled yet and it isn't going to end up on retailers shelves in the next two weeks to be sold out at a fire sale. According to what I understood, it will be shipped at a more leisurely pace. Now, does that mean you will be able to buy a couple rolls on Dec 15th for your christmas party photos? Probably not. But I also don't think it means that b&h showing "out of stock" today means that it's gone for good quite yet.</p>

<p>Also, if you want to be technical about it. The first day of fall (in the N. Hemisphere) is September 22nd. Early fall could reasonably be considered anything from that date to the end of October. Which would be 4+ months out, within the timeframe I stated.</p>

<p>In any case, it doesn't change the point of the whole thing. Get some film and enjoy it while you still can. If that means you have to buy it in July and not in November, so be it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Give an old camera to a young photographer (we've all got 4-5 old SLR's in our closets).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did exactly that today. I posted one of my film cameras to an 18 year old on another forum.<br /> <blockquote>Remind your wedding photographer friends that they can gain hours of their lives back (and have a marketing tool that stands out) if they shoot film and have a relationship with a good lab.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I keep making that argument myself. If I was going to do wedding photography (which I'm not) I would use film, get a lab to produce proofs, make an album then get the lab to make the re-prints. Just the way my father used to do it.<br>

Sitting in front of a computer for hours processing thousands of images? No thanks!</p>

<p>In a very small part, as one person I can vote with my wallet. I will choose to not purchase other Kodak products. It is not common that this works, but in mass, it has in the past with other manufacturers and they brought a loved product back from the grave.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Douglas, why take that route? It just doesn't make any sense. Kodak isn't discontinuing Kodachrome out of spite, and they let it go on a lot longer than they could have, or maybe should have, based on its sales. Kodak makes some great films today and it would be a shame to let those pass by because they're ending a 75 year run of Kodachrome.</p>

<p>No one seems to want to answer the question:<br />Would it have killed Kodak to make this film for 6 more months, then announce that they are going to retire the film now that it made it to 75 years?<br>

Would Kodak have gone broke??<br>

Would their be layoffs and talks of financial bailouts??<br>

No.<br>

But wouldn't it have been good PR for Kodak to show some respect for the film that is synonymous with their own history?</p>

<p>The funny thing is, Kodachrome isn't even my favarite film by a long shot. Imagine how I'm gonna rant when they finally ditch Ekatchrome 64T.<br>

Or should I take the attitude of: Well, you knew it was gonna happen...</p>

<p>Again, why do we need Kodak to celebrate anything? I could care less when some company starts shilling that it's the 100th anniversary of their product. Are you really that interested in the 100th anniversary of coca-cola or maytag or A/C delco? Are we such tools of advertising and commerce that we have to be told what to celebrate by the companies who want our money?</p>

<p>If we want a celebration, let's have a celebration among the photographers who love the film. As I've said before, we shouldn't want or need Kodak to do it for us. They have better things to be doing with that time and money to work on keeping their film division open and we are not the kind of people who need a salesman to tell us what to be happy about.</p>

<p>Douglas, why the heck would you do that? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If you really love using film, then that would be the <em>worst</em> thing you could do. I used to get mad at Kodak too, everytime I went into a Walmart and saw a bunch of cheap digital point and shoot cameras with the name "Kodak" on them. I thought that Kodak was just selling out, and making nothing but cheap, plasticky digital cameras made in China, so that emo kids could take lame snapshots for their MySpace page. But what I've learned over the past couple of years is that Kodak DOES support film. Very much so. Every time I buy a 120 roll of Plus-X, or a roll of Ektar 100, it reminds me of how much Kodak supports film.</p>

<p>A boycott would be the silliest thing you could do, and it wouldn't do a bit of good. If you like film, then that would be a big mistake. All you would be doing is just helping digital to kill off film. I support ALL companies that make film as much as I can...Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, Arista, etc. All of them. The way I look at it, film manufacturers are all on the same side. They each make their own unique film with unique characteristics, but I don't see them as competing with each other anymore. Fuji also seems to be very loyal to film, but if you boycott Kodak just because they stopped making Kodachrome, that would be rediculous. It's too late for boycotts. Boycott bad photo labs, yes...but not film manufacturers.</p>

<p>It just rubs me the wrong way, when a once great company (and don't just stick up for them because you were invited to some private meeting and a tour of the facility), unceremoniously drops something from their line that has a rich history, and the higher ups claim no responsibility.<br>

Look at GM. Do we really want to start drawing comparisons??<br>

Oldsmobile and Pontiac were once great automobiles. But General Motors did nothing to keep those lines competative, and in fact, many people feel that they ran Pontiac into the ground. Then the GM execs start whining about how they aren't making money, and...well, you know the rest of the story.</p>

<p>My whole beef is, it would just have been a nice touch...something so simple...for them to have said, At 75, the film is gonna retire in style because OBVIOUSLY it means and has meant so much to so many.</p>

<p>I just heard the news. I have two rolls in the fridge I recently shot and have 2 more before I need to get more before the cleansing starts. What I wish kodak would do is sell the formulas of all the films they have discontinued to other film companies so they can make it for us . Kodak infrared films come to mind, especially the infrared color slide film.</p>

<p>After striking out on Kodachrome with B&H, Adorama, and Freestyle Photo, I wanted to be on the safe side and decided to give into to paying the SLIGHT and SUDDEN mark-up of a package of 24 rolls (EXP 12/09) which is a bit more than I need. I plan to share them with my father who documented many of our earliest moments with Kodachrome, and a few rolls to some fellow photo-nut friends. This is perhaps a time to sullenly celebrate and mourn the last stands of 'real' to the final overtakings of the souless mediums of virtuality. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It just rubs me the wrong way, when a once great company (and don't just stick up for them because you were invited to some private meeting and a tour of the facility), unceremoniously drops something from their line that has a rich history, and the higher ups claim no responsibility.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are going to come out and call me a liar or a tool of big business, I assume you have some facts to back those statements up Craig. Otherwise it's just pathetic mud slinging on your part because you don't like what I'm saying. Typical, don't like the message, attack the messenger. Once again, a waste of time and energy that could be used to bring out the good parts about film photography. Instead here we are in a pissing match over nothing.</p>

<p>My having a relationship with the people at Kodak is good for this site, good for this community and for film photographers in general. I'm able to get information, film, access with film photographers on their roster, and most importantly, I can pass on some of the current feelings of film photographers to the people who could actually make a difference. I sat with the senior management in rochester and told them exactly what I've been preaching here. People still love film. People want to be excited about it. We need to stop wasting time with stupid battles over digital or film being better. Do things that encourage film photographers on all sides of the product/lab/etc pipeline. And so on. I didn't hide the fact that I talked to the people at Kodak last week and nothing I did was underhanded or deceptive in any way.</p>

<p>I've been running this same theme into the ground since I published the first Filmtown article last year. Check back and read through every post I've made about Kodachrome in the past year. You see anything contradictory, you let me know. Otherwise, perhaps you want to rethink your accusation.</p>

<p>Josh, I never once called you a liar nor a tool for big business.<br>

If it came across that way, then you have my apologies.<br>

I appreciate what you have done for this forum and film users in general.<br>

But in my almost 30 years of experience in the public sector, I realized that the best way to get something unpopular to go over well with the masses, is to get some big names on your side before you drop the bomb. I've seen it done countless numbers of times, and I've also seen a lot of people get burned by those same politicians who at one point in time stood by them for photo ops at the podium, only to be let hung out and dried years later on by the same city council.<br>

I love Kodak film.<br>

I pretty much shoot them exclusively, and always will.<br>

But you're right...maybe I should have seen this coming.</p>

<p>I hope that in three years we have more left than just a couple 100ASA slide films. If you don't think that can or will happen, think of all the films that have been discontinued over the past three years: Kodak infrared, P1600, Elite Chrome 400, Kodachrome 200, Kodachrome 64, Tmax 3200, etc.<br>

If you like film, shoot more of it than you ever have, or it's history.</p>

<p>I have turned over a new leaf and started my journey with Ekachrome. It is kind of nice that their are still five emulsions left....E100G, E100GX, E200, Ektachrome 100 Plus and Ektachrome 64T. Hopefully we can keep those going for a while. They don't touch Kodachrome quality but they are a heck of a lot better than digital! I am also pumped about shooting some 4X5 Ektachrome I just ordered!</p>

<p>You are the power of that.. 3 years ahead... you have to shoot it.. shoot more make up for the slackers..... Don't depend on the Government.. Kodak is not too big to fail..... :) "Remember only you can stimulate the slide film market."<br>

Larry Dressler June 22 2009.</p>

<p>Look also into the amateur line Elitechrome is also nice. And Fuji also makes many great E6 films they even went out of their way to make the Velvia 50 in an alt way after the origional was killed becaused it used a method/chemical that was banned by the U.N./Epa/Whoever. it took over a year but they did it.</p>