Sekonic L-358

tom_becker8

<p>My dog chewed up my Minolta Autometer IVF. Another case of a human setting up his dog to fail. <br>

Anyway, I want to buy another meter and it seems like the Sekonic L-358 is the answer but I have a stupid question. Can I buy the standard meter and add the wireless later? If so, do I need to buy a certain variant? Seems like Amazon has the best price.</p>

<p>Just a word of caution:<br>

Some days ago I've learned that you need a FCC-type L-358 if you want to use it with a FCC-type wireless-module (and a CE-compliant L-358 works only with a CE-compliant RT-32 module). <br>

I've bought my L-358 used in the UK and added a used RT-32 later - and while I paid attention to get the proper module it was pure luck that I got the needed CE-complaint L-358.<br>

It's a great meter, to second Matt.</p>

<p>I lost (LOST!!! *@#%& ) my L-358 and decided to "upgrade" to the L-758 to replace it. While the latter is a fine meter---I thought I needed the integral spot metering capability---I find myself at times wishing for the 358 again.</p>

<p>It's smaller and more compact, and fits the hand and the camera bag much better. The "hump" in the 758 for the spotmeter optics (the meter is otherwise about the size of the 358--they just put in a fat "tube" crosswise for the optics) is right at the wrong spot for my hand when doing incident metering of either ambient or flash. Functionally, either one is terrific. Good choice.<br>

<br /> I heard a podcast with one of the founders of Pocket Wizard and he discussed the very issue brought up above about FCC vs CE compliance; he confirmed that compliance is more than just selecting the appropriate RT module. The meters themselves have internal circuitry such that a CE meter has to be mated with a CE module, and FCC with FCC, or the thing won't operate.</p>

<p>Tom, just make sure that everything (PW, L-358 and RT-32 module) is even FCC or uniform CE-compliant. Mixing them will cause trouble. Let the seller state firmly which variant he is selling.<br>

Hope this helps - and please excuse my english, georg.</p>