Burning Large files to Multiple DVD's

ernie.grimes

<p>A single photo file will be much smaller than the DVD ISO format. I believe you do not have any single file that would not fit on a DVD media ? Unless you zipped entire folder of files.</p>

<p>I have about 230 GB of pictures, but all of them are smaller. E.g. max size is from scanner done at insane high resolution, and they exceed 200 MB each. </p>

<p>You need to organize your photos to smaller groups, each group fitting your media size. Chaining large size folders into one burn spanning over multiple disc media would pose danger to entire pack of files, and tremendous computer resources to put them back on computer for use. Some burning software places diagnostics checksum data at the end of the last disc for the entire pack of discs.</p>

<p>I suggest getting Blu-Ray Writer/recorder disc drive capable of handling 50 GB in one disc.</p>

<p>Best laptop and resonably priced would be Sony Vaio FW, version with the Blu-ray Writer drive.</p>

<p>I use an ancient version (6.7) of Sonic Solutions (now Roxio) "Record Now!". The backup option creates a multi-disk set if you select too many files to fit one one disk. It doesn't do any check-summing, but it does place an index file for the entire archive on each disk. I generally copy the index from each set I burn and save it on my hard-disk so I can easily search for a particular file and find out which disk(s) it's on.</p>

<p>I use a program called Backup & Burn. It allows you to download your cards using as many card readers as you wish, putting the files in order by date and time. Then backs them up to how many hard drives and DVDs or CDs that you wish, prompting you to change out the DVDs as they are full. It then will print a label for each DVD<br>

Unfortunately, I believe Steve Post, who designed the software, shut his operation down because of a lack of response in this economy. You might check www.backupandburn.com to see if it is still available. It's a relatively inexpensive program, about $140.00</p>

<p>I only burn finished jpegs to DVD now. All my raws are stored on a 1tb external via a blacX. When it is full (acrtually about 95% full) I pull it out and store it in a static proof bag in a cool closet. That gives me nearly intstant access if needed and better longterm stroage. I have a drive that I put in there about 4 years ago and its still fine.</p>

<p>RAW images are to gigital what the negs were in film days. You process them and the put the negs/RAWs away for a "just in case" kind of situation.</p>

<p>Roxio will do this and prompt you to put in a disc when the first one is full. However, it will wind up splitting a digital image file, putting half on one disc and half on the next. I just don't like having an image file split between discs. It will reassemble it later if you want to recover it, but that's outside my comfort zone and cumbersome. I would simply use a tool like Roxio and look at the disc gage at the bottom of the program. When you get close to a full disc, make note of the last filename being burned, then go ahead and burn. Continue with a second disc once that's done. It's a bit more manual, but better than splitting file data.</p>

<p>"It doesn't do any check-summing" - this is an internal operation that is part of copy or record verification, and is not available or visible for the user. Once one of the disc pack gets corrupted, entire pack could be a toss, especially when files are split across discs.</p>