DX coding problem with N90s

neal wells

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I just picked up a used N90s to carry in the canoe and other places I don't want to risk my F5. I loaded a roll of Kodak Porta 160VC and got a continuous blinking "err" message. The camera would trip the shutter and advance the film but no exposure readouts. I finally decided to try a different roll of film and loaded some Provia 100. The camera picked the DX code up fine and it worked like a charm. This roll of Kodak was one I had in the refrigerator (warmed prior to loading) but I haven't used this film before. I just wanted to try something a little faster than my Velvia 50. Has anybody else had this problem or maybe can offer an explanation?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that the camera did appear to pick up the DX coding and showed the proper ISO in the readout for the Porta film but even when I set the ISO manually it made mo difference-still a continuous blinking "err" message when the shutter buttom was depressed halfway.</p>

<p>Maybe just a fluke or maybe the roll wasn't seated correctly. I don't have a N90 but have run a lot of Kodak film through my N80 and F5. I don't ever recall having a problem such as yours.<br>

If it happens again, apparently you can change the rating of the film manually. Here's a link to a thread that explains how.<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/004Zza<br>

John</p>

<p>My experience with 35mm (135) film speed DX decoding is not entirely reliable. It might work 99% of the time (which is certainly good), but occasionally it may fail. I would always verify the decoded ISO. If you always use the same film speed, you are better off setting it manually.</p>