old coolpix 4500 versus a new generation point shoot

nazir200_200

<p>the 8 year old coolpix 4500 was perfectly working . due to the very rude handling of my kids it began<br />malfunctioning now ( as the colours become flowing like reddish tones and it seems some serious<br />damage after numerous fallings on the floor.)<br />now i am insearch of a point and shoot camera which can compare or even better than coolpix 4500 in<br />terms of macrophotography.<br />i like to take the macro of very minute flowers, ants ,mustard seeds,fingerprints,spider web and so on.....<br />with the coolpix4500 its very easy to get very sharp macro of all those minute world.<br />i am looking for point shoot with the same ease for these type of purpose<br />no budget constraint,no pixel mania,no zoom mania<br />your valuable opinions please.(<strong>by the way 4500 is not at all available here in U A E used camera shops</strong>)<br />nazir</p>

<p>I also have a CP4500 that I use occasionally. I had gotten a CoolPIX P50 for my son for Christmas and I am rather impressed even at its lowliness. The shutter lag is much shorter and more predictable. The images are very nice. It does lack the versatility of the CP4500 but for most users it is adequate. </p>

<p>Even though I still like my CP4500 very much for its versatility (swivel body, threaded lens ring, enclosed lens, view finder), I have to admit that the new P&S cameras do offer significant performance improvements.<br>

Stan</p>

<p>The best thing about the CP4500 was the versatility of the split body. This is what made macro shots so easy. I would start by looking for a camera with a tilt and swivel LCD. A tilt and swivel LCD won't be as easy to use as the split body but it will be a lot easier than a body with a fixed LCD.</p>

<p>I had a Coolpix 4500 and it was a wonderful camera. I have never owned a camera which made such wonderful super macros...like of ancient coins the size of a dime.</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D300 DSLR now with a variety of macro lenses, but I still miss my old CP 4500.</p>

<p>Most new point and shoot cameras are just fine for general purpose travel photography and snapshots. You may want to look at one of Nikon's camera's which use two AA nicad rechargeable batteries like the L20. Buying proprietary rechargeable batteries is almost always a giant rip off.</p>

<p>I have a Coolpix 5400 and a pair of Canon P&S (A630 & A640) - For Macro the old CP 5400 has it over the Canon's. This is due to the Auto-Focus and Lens. Speed well that is a different story even with the canon's having the chdk firmware mod to create DNG files.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>The Coolpix 4500 Eye of Providence Challenge<br>

Is there a compact camera that can beat the Nikon Coolpix 4500 for macros? I will need one as well when mine packs up.<br>

"Practically any P&S camera out there will top your 8 year old 4500 - in all aspects, really. You will be surprised how fast the newer P&S are, all have very good Macro mode and deliver superior Image Quality."<br>

Hmmm. Here is a challenge. This is a crop from a handheld shot in dull natural lighting of the eye above the pyramid on the back of a one dollar bill that I just went outside and took with the 4500 with AF at 1/60 & f5.6. Who can post a picture of the eye under natural light from a compact camera that matches or improves on this this to show us what camera to move on to?<br>

I prefer Nikon's colour rendition for my plant macros, but other manufacturers will be considered as second best!</p>

<div>00UGZk-166609684.jpg.a42ba27aafb64c301ade89d5840d9e1f.jpg</div>