Canon International Warranty.

matt burg

<p>I am thinking of buying a camera and or lens in Korea, I am trying to find out how the warranty system works. As far as I can tell it is sort of a regional system, separated by continent. And therefore if I buy my camera in Korea the warranty will not be valid in Canada. So I will have to send it back to Asia to get it serviced. Is this my only option?</p>

<p>Also I am considering buying grey market over here, because I can save a few hundred bucks on the initial price, and given all the misinformation over this issue I am not really sure the facts, and it seems that the whole things varies from case to case, depending on the Canon person you deal with.</p>

<p>One person said that if I buy grey market I won't be able to get it serviced here in Korea but it will work in other Asian countries. Is this true? Or is a grey market purchase void everywhere? If grey market only doesn't work in Korea and I will have to ship back to asia anyway once I leave then it makes sense for me to buy grey market and save the extra money, but if it doesn't work then I will have to weigh the cost of the no warranty vs saving money. </p>

<p>Can anyone clear this up for me? Or will I just have to contact Canon?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Matt</p>

<p>You should contact Canon Canada. Different Canon divisions have different warranty policies. I think if you're living in Korea and buy a lens there, then move to Canada, Canon Canada will probably service it under warranty. If you live in Canada and buy a lens from Korea via mail order (i.e. Grey Market), then they may not.</p>

<p>In my experience, Bob is correct. Canon warranty varies by product and region.I have talked to Canon about different product warranties and it seems to be hit & miss.<br>

I have bought a grey market lens in the past but I think you are pushing the limits on a camera. Just too many things that can go wrong and it will only take one repair to make it cost more than buying in Canada. IMO Canon cameras in Canada (if you shop carefully) are priced very well compared to most markets when making a full comparison. Canon accessories are another matter entirely.<br>

I just got an email today for The Camera Store in Calgary with new lower prices on the 50D. I just bought one a month ago elsewhere. Most decent stores will price match any Cdn. competitor.</p>

<p>Matt, after speaking to my local Canon folks, I was made to believe that they would honour warranties on lenses purchased internationally (with proof of receipt/purchase), but not on camera bodies or flashes. <br>

I guess lenses are less prone to failure compared to camera bodies and flashes, hence the local warranty coverage for both of these items.</p>

<p><strong>This is the response I received from Canon Canada about the issue.</strong></p>

<p>Thank you for your E-mail inquiry.<br /> <br /> Canon EOS and PowerShot Digital cameras purchased <br /> outside North America may have a regional warranty<br /> (only valid in the country of purchase) or possibly<br /> an International warranty.<br /> <br /> The product delivered to you in new condition in its<br /> original container, is warranted against defects in<br /> materials or workmanship for a period of one (1) year<br /> from the date of original purchase within the limits<br /> of the warranty (regional or international). This <br /> warranty is not applicable for purchases made from <br /> one individual to another as the warranty is not <br /> transferable.<br /> <br /> Please note, PAYPAL receipts are not valid as<br /> proof of purchase. Also note as well we are unable<br /> to accommodate missing accessories for purchases <br /> made outside Canada.</p>