D700+Nikon 17-35 f2.8+Cokin P Wide Angle Holder =Vignette?

francis_cailles

<p>Will the Cokin P Wide Angle Filter Holder vignette when used on a Nikon 17-35 lens + Nikon D700? I have the D700, and will buy the the Nikon 17-35 soon. I used to hold Graduated Neutral Density filters against the lens, but got tired of doing that for long exposures. Plus I keep bumping the lens, causing fuzzy images and scratching the filter.<br>

Thanks for any input!</p>

<p>I have not tried the Cokin P wide angle filter holder myself, but the free angle stated by Cokin is larger than the maximum angle of the 17-35mm lens. In theory, it should work.<br>

However, I have the non-wide Cokin P holder and that vignettes.</p>

<p>Hi Francis,<br>

There will be vignetting below 20mm if you "use it as it's meant to be used". To minimise it (it's absent at 18-19mm & almost negligible @ 17mm), I forgo the adapter ring and "rest" the P-wide holder on the 17-35mm itself.<br>

Of course, if you are handholding the combo and is pointing the lens downwards, there's a chance of the holder falling off.</p>

<p>Hi Francis,<br>

Eddie's right. I use this lens on my D700 along with the Cokin P WA Holder and it definitely causes vignetting below 20mm, 24mm if you have a low profile filter fitted as well.<br>

Lee and their WA adapter is definitely the way to go if you have the cash after forking out for the D700, the 17-35, etc., etc.<br>

(I know I don't...<br>

...yet!)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you normally use just one filter at a time, you can easily saw off the external slots holding filters and just preserve the innermost slot. Thats what I did when I used this holder with the 17-35 mm lens on my now retired F100. There was only vignetting if the holder by accident was turned at an angle. Otherwise this solves the problem.</p>