Handmade Leather Straps - By Leica Shooter, For Leica Shooters..."Pseudo Poll"

bryan_b3

<p >Hi All : </p>

<p > I'm not 100% sure where to begin...first, I'm glad to be back on Photo.net, I was insanely busy for a while and just let go of posting and browsing, but things have let up so I decided it was high time to re-join!...and I've been lurking for a few weeks scoping out so many insane photos that have been made and posted since I last took a real nice long look! Good to see, and inspiring!</p>

<p > I wanted to reach out to all my fellow Leica M shooters (as well as other RF shooters and I suppose anyone interested...) to get your insight/suggestions/gripes/pros/cons and, well, just general input towards quality, handmade, leather straps (for now, just straps ;)) for M cameras (and others I suppose)...the reason being, I'm a designer and leatherworker, aside from being a photographer who works with the M system (albeit down to one body 2 lenses at the moment), and since working in the leather medium..(bags, wallets, belts, etc.) as well as a photographer...I've always loosely kept one ear to the ground in terms of offerings of nice handmade leather straps/accessories for Leica's and I suppose cameras in general.</p>

<p > For the last few years I've made myself my own straps, both neck and wrist, as well as random things like lens and film cases, (even a "quick draw" sling, not unlike something you'd picture in your mind as an under-arm gun holster you see cops sporting...I used it for cycling with my M6, not a gun:)) ... and not thinking much of it, I made mine because I work with leather and I just wasn't interested in any current offerings from other people personally, for one reason or another.</p>

<p > Lately I've been asked by some (rare around here) M photographers locally, where I picked up my strap, and I simply told them I just made them for myself. What I wasn't expecting was what they said next..."Can you make me one?" I suppose since I personally hadn't hunted for straps for so long I figured there were enough resources for others to have a good amount of options in choosing a quality leather strap or having a custom one made for a few extra bucks.....So I took my ear off the ground per se and got my nose into digging for what's out here for us.</p>

<p > The conclusion I came to was that I wanted to hold off on producing other work and make us some straps! Here in the US, of quality leather, handmade by a Leica shooter for the rest of us, and that was sub $80 ! (we spend sooo much money on our bodies, lenses, filters, film, developing, etc., that I think a little price break WITHOUT sacrifice in quality, for a strap, is something that may be appreciated.) I've attached some photos of the strap I've been using and beating up on a daily basis that I had designed for myself.</p>

<p > I thought what the best thing to do would be to ask for any input from other serious shooters what they might like to see included, or excluded, in a strap, both neck and wrist, for their shooting needs. Like personally, I don't particularly like the "top plate protectors" found on most leather straps, only because quite frankly all the leather straps I've made or used without those cute little leather leaves don't do much, the strap's rings still don't touch the body without them, I don't have a single scratch on my M6 top plate from ring rub, and I don't have the "protectors" on mine, I built them into one of my first straps but later tossed it for the sleekness of using it with no "protectors" and still no rub...the thickness of the leather seems to be the reason as well as the ring size. Anyway I'm getting long winded :), the point being, I would like to know if.....</p>

<p > A - Having another source for straps would be a welcome addition to the few other sources?</p>

<p > B - What your input may be? (I put the "specs" of what I'm creating now and hope to build off that, or if it's liked, then to produce from here.)</p>

<p > - Specs : (See Photos as well here : http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=917783) - Handmade / stitched leather neck strap - made of 4-4.5oz. weight, stoned oiled cowhide side leather, that after being dyed, has been treated with waxes and oils to lengthen life and durability, as well when pulled, scratched, or stretched, becomes lighter in those areas, giving it a nice aged look, but when heat or friction is applied to the areas, the color returns, this is considered a mark of high quality in the leather game, and a very durable leather, as well as being more resistant to water and heat. The strap I've settled on for my daily strap is approx. 42 1/4" end to end and falls very nicely either straight ahead on my stomach or nicely under arm towards the back. Adjustable straps are something I'm considering of course, I just like the reliability and simplicity of a "straight" strap...also the "neck pad" area of mine is approx. 7" x not quite 1.5" double layered leather with soft suede underside on your neck...(I don't like extra long neck pads :)).....</p>

<p > My interest is in, what may be a good general length? I think I came to a good one after a dozen experiments, but would love input! Also, neck pad width length ideas if opposed from mine? Film roll holder on strap annoying or good idea? (I'm not a fan personally, how about the majority?) Also, are most interested in the top plate protectors? Just because I'm not, does not mean I would have any problem whatsoever having that as a default...built in, or not? Stitching throughout? eg: down the strap sides itself? or plain jane as I have my own? Burnished edges, or cut raw like I have mine...? Etc etc...Any and all input is very much welcome. Consider this your strap, as a whole, by photographers for photographers. Other things besides straps may come in the future as well.</p>

<p > Please let me know what you all think, I'm sincerely interested in your input and hope that I may be able to offer something everyone will like! Custom straps will also be available as far as sizes, color, and if you'd like your initials etc. stamped in, no extra charge for 3 letter! Can do as many letters as wanted too btw. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Also, as a *bonus question, I'm curious, as an everyday outing to shoot...whats generally in your bag? I'm talking walk around bag while out and about but also shooting....Personally, it's one body, two lenses, film, and a filter or two, plus my moleskine, pen, iPhone, and lens wipes.</p>

<p > Thanks SO much to everyone in advance for your thoughts and inputs!</p>

<p > All the best,</p>

<p > Bryan</p>

<p >PS- I'm thinking $50 range by the way, custom or not.</p>

<p >PPS - http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=917783</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=917783</p><div>00Tgjq-145469584.thumb.jpg.865960798a47dce0b9eae5a25f23df55.jpg</div>

<p>I would buy a couple of really good leather straps. My main criteria is that the leather be supple and flexible. Luigi straps, for example. I have one Luigi, which I love, but they are expensive, especially by the time you get them to the US from Italy.</p>

<p>I've tried a lot of leather straps on my M's, but most are stiff and never get really comfortable.</p>

<p>If I could get a leather box type bag with room for one body two lenses and extra space for film and filters with a flip top. I have a leica bag but I don't trust the strap or stitching because of age. I would buy a copy of it in a heart beat. Good luck in your endeavor.</p>

<p>Jim - The leather I use is insanely supple and flexible, there's no rigidity at all, they fall like a fabric based strap would, without giving up strength, leaving the edges raw and not stitching the length of the strap also helps keep them very soft and flexible, so luckily those criteria I think are already met well. :)<br>

Todd - Are you talking about the system bags, like the M3 bag? The only thing to me is they scream camera bag :( But i love the dedicated areas for the M system inside, something like that but offered in a more discrete bag is something Ive wanted to play with for a long time.</p>

<p>Looks nice, Bryan. I may be interested in a strap, but for a Nikon F6. </p>

<p>I like the stitching as you have it. Don't know about burnished edges, though. I generally buy straps in 120cm lengths. I prefer a straight strap to the adjustable leather one i have. I also like the embossed initials idea....</p>

<p>As for bags.... I've been looking for the right bag for months. I want something that doesn't look at all like a camera bag. I wish i could have one designed to my specifications, but i'm concerned my ideas/sketches won't translate to the finished product.... I guess i could show photos of various bags that have certain features or constructions i like. Have you built bags you could show us? </p>

<p>Bryan, I have an M8. I ended up buying a leather case from Mr. Zhou's in Shanghai. It was much cheaper than the alternative from Luigi. Certainly not as nice, but very similar in style. I never liked the rubber strap that Leica supplied with the M8 camera. The leather strap I received with my DLUX-4 is much more comfortable. For my M8, I ended up using a cloth strap from an old SLR, but it is too ratty looking and actaully uncomfortable because it must have synthetic reinforcement threads poking through the cloth. I looked at many types of new straps but they were either too cheap looking (in the price range of $12 to $24) or uncomfortable. <br>

I would be very interested in a high quality leather strap and what you describe sounds great. The price seems right as well.<br>

I think that an adjustable strap may be more versatile since people come in all sizes and have different preferences for how they carry the camera. I would prefer the strap width you showed in your picture. I don't think it's necessary to have the protectors. Obviously since I have an M8, I would not need a film container, so it should be an option. Maybe you could offer a memory card holder optionally as well.<br>

The most important criteria as requested by several others is comfort, so a soft, supple, good quality leather is a must. And it will be a classy look which any Leica deserves. <br>

Please let us know if you decide to go forward with this business.</p>

<p>Just a suggestion . . . You might add a leather protector to isolate the metal ring from coming in contact with the camera. A simple patch of leather with a hole for the eyelet (and held in place by the metal ring passing through the eyelet) would protect the camera finish.<br>

BTW a wrist strap might be a good idea. Would work well with a "Thumbs Up" and a camera grip.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your strap looks great and if you sell them, I would buy one for 50 bucks. My concerns are that sometimes, not often, I carry 2 M cameras and need different length straps, not necessarily adjustable straps. Also, the neck pad is always an issue for me, the reason being sometimes I wrap the neck strap around my wrist to discreetly carry the camera and I believe tha neck pad impedes doing this. Is it possible to make a easily removable neck pad? I believe that your leather strap at 50 bucks will sell like hot cakes.</p>

<p>I really hope the moderators do not remove this thread for any reason whatsoever. The production of this strap at the prices suggested would be of great benefit to many of us and to be able to provide imput as to the construction and design of the strap is very valuable to this community.</p>

<p>Hi, I have several suggestions - the key one being copy Luigi's products. I have three of his straps- on an F2 Nikon and two Leica G's My one adjustment I've done to his is cut & re-glue the leather "bellhousing" that surrounds the buckle for a more snug fit. The widths are perfect - 8mm to about 15mm. Less colours - only makes more work for you as a retailer...you only need black, dark & light brown & maybe an oxblood or similar. Movable shoulderpads (suede backed please) on the strap for those of us who swap left to right shoulder - or wear it diagonally over your body, and adjustable length from about 90cm to 120cm at max. Perfect. Include the lateral protectors - if people don't want them they can cut them off. I find them good for holding the strap just out from the camera - making the strap fall better over my wrist as I use it.<br>

Don't be concerned about price, I find it amusing that people who pay $6000 for a Leica M8 + lens quibble over a sub $100 strap. I mean it's the part of the camera we have the most contact on a regular basis isn't it? People who buy or use Leica's want a camera strap that lasts & ages like a handmade pair of shoes. Make sense? </p>

<p>I suggest you add the hook/clip that was part of the sorely missed Schwalberg strap: it allowed for the removal of the camera while carried over the shoulder under a jacket/coat - whithout the need of removing the coat/jacket first. It also had an adjustable strap in order to carry several cameras. At one point it was the favorite among photojournalists. </p>

<p>Thanks you to everyone whose thrown notes into the hat, its MUCH appreciated, Im actually on the road right now on my iPhone so this post will be short. First, I'm definitely going to go ahead and get started on a batch of about 50 straps this week and using everyones input see how those first 50 go and the feedback from anyone who uses them, if those need tweaks etc. no problem, Im just aiming to make it as good as it can be, while staying as simple as possible. The only thing I was most back and forth on was adjustability, personally I dont like it, the main reason being is the extra "junk" thats cluttering the simplicity of the strap, and its very noticeable if youre like me and wrap yours around your wrist alot, though I'll be offering a wrist strap anyway, I suppose I can just offer both adjustable and non. I also have always been interested in the Schwalberg strap but never had one of my own and never found any good photos of them! :( If anyone has any or can take some, let me know or shoot me an email, Id love to be able to unhook while shooting, and still have a strap I can trust while its hooked in, and Id make that in a heartbeat! So, to anyone interested, Ill get to work starting Monday and keep updating here until the website/blog Ive decided to put is done, hopefully like John said, this thread will remain up and I can keep hearing youre input etc. Feel free to email me though, Ill try to respond as fast as possible!<br>

Thanks again<br>

Bryan</p>

<p>Main criteria are:<br>

Light, supple, no large pad (or removable), very adjustable (I like to wear my camera high) ergo not too long, and nothing to scar the camera.<br>

I mostly use cast off nylon straps from other cameras, cut them to length with no rubber or leather pads. They weigh next to nothing, are cheap and flexible. The Lecia ones I got with the M7 and M8 as I recall were thick, wide and stiff, so they're in a box somewhere.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...