Driving/photo trip - Denver > Yellowstone. Ideas?

macpherson

<p>Big trip planned for our 30th wedding anniversary - we're driving from Denver across the Rockies to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks in the next several weeks. We'll have 7 full days available for the trip.</p>

<p>I'd really appreciate hearing from those who have done serious landscape & wildlife photography in the parks. What are the things we should have of the must-see list?</p>

<p>In addition to the landscape - which by all accounts is stunning - I'm really looking for wildlife. I'll be packing my new 5D2 and the 600mm f4 L IS along with a 40D and a few other lenses.</p>

<p>THANKS in advance for tips and advice - (and especially GPS coordinates if you have them)!</p>

<p>I haven't driven the route from Denver over - may others can advise you on photo ops along the way.<br>

The Tetons photograph exceptionally well in part because there are no foothills. The Jackson Hole valley is about 4000 feet and the peaks are at 12-13,000 feet, with no lower hills to complicate the views. Go online and download a good map of the park. There are good foregrounds for secenic shots everywhere - the lakes, Mormon Row, the Snake River. The classic shot is sunrise at Oxbow Bend - sunset shots are tough because the mountains will all be in silouette. Lots of wildlife - bison everywhere, elk refuge nearer Jackson may not have its largest population - they tend to migrate north in summer. Moose, bears, eagles on the river.<br>

In my experience, I've seen far more moose in the Tetons and way more elk in Yellowstone, bears and eagles in both. Wolves only in Yellowstone - there may be some in the Tetons, but I haven't seen any.<br>

Yellowstone is unique. Get a map so you can be sure to get to all the thermal features - you won't anything like it anywhere else on the planet. Wildlife causes traffic jams on the 2 lane roads. Bison and elk will be abundant, with young-uns. Wolves, bears, otters will be where you find them - ask the rangers - they talk to each other and will have the latest on where they've been sighted. Also ask about eagles - they like to hunt nearer their nests than farther, so knowing where the nests are will help. The Lamar Valley is mandatory for wildlife. Except for the bison (they graze everywhere all the time), the animals usually are out feeding soon after sunrise and in the couple of hours before sunset. The upper and lower falls are excellent, but there are lots of falls in the park - more than have been mapped.<br>

If you have time, I recommend going out the west gate to the town of West Yellowstone, MT (40 feet outside the gate!) to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. You'll get closer to gray wolves and grizzlies with fantastic photo opportunities than anything you see in the park. They should also have opened a new otter preserve that I haven't seen yet (last there in February). IMHO, an excellent place to see. You can google them place for more details.</p>

<p>Congratulations on making it to 30. We just passed 29 and are already planning out trip for 30. I see that you are not a native to the west. I have made the drive in and out of Yellowstone several times from Oklahoma and can suggest the following route.<br>

North from Denver to Casper. There is not too mush to see, other than WIDE open spaces. You should approach the GT park from Casper. I have made the drive from from the south to Jackson, also and was not impressed. The tip from Casper is a slow introduction the the Rockies. You will start to get into some great country long before you enter the national parks. Years ago when we made our last trip, the state travel guide featured remote lake along the route. This was an hour or so east of the NP and well worth the 20 minute detour.<br>

Have fun and don't forget to post some photos. </p>

<p>If you have the time, you may want to consider heading to the Wyoming parks via Northwest Colorado. I did this on the tail end of a round trip out of Denver to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, which also included the Black Hills, Badlands and Devils Tower at the beginning of the trip, and got some great stuff (especially at Dinosaur in the early morning).<br>

From Denver, you would drive through Boulder and Rocky Mtn NP, west through Dinosaur NM and then once you hit Vernal, Utah head north to Rock Springs, Wyoming along the Flaming Gorge (and then continue north to the parks). I think you might find this route more interesting than driving through central Wyoming. Assuming you're making a round trip, I would save this for your return drive to Denver (in case you run out of time and have to skip it).</p>

<p>Keep an eye out for antelope along the way. They'll be far off so that long lens will be good for ya. Not much scenery but you'll occassionally run into beautiful barns on rolling hills so keep eyes open for that. East of Yellowstone are the Bighorn Mountains. It's not as popular as the obvious Tetons and Yellowstone. But it has a rugged beauty and charm all on its own and is a rarely visted area (compared to the national parks). Good side trip!</p>

<p>I posted this a while ago, but here goes: Leaving Denver head straight to Laramie (not I-25). On the CO/WY border there is a small church, Virginia Dale, that begs to be photographed. In Laramie, search out Snowy Range Pass to the west, again it beats I-80 and the trucks. The pass goes to about 11,000ft but is not scary.</p>