Sharpeing for web & print

<p>I usually sharpen in CS3 USM or smart sharpen and I have read many different ideas on how much to sharpen and when to sharpen. I am a wedding photographer and my images are posted on line for customers to see and hopefully purchase. Is there a good book or site that can explain to me what I should be sharpening at. I know you sharpen different for web & print but what do you do in this situation? What are good amounts for each and can that be answered simply or is it that complex?</p>

<p>I usually sharpen for web to the point where it's nick sharp, and just the tad bit more for print, so that it looks as if on the verge of too sharp.<br>

For a start, I sharpen my pictures in ACR at 60/0.9/30/15 before opening them in PS, and if I see they need that extra bit, I use the unsharp mask at 60/0.9/5 - values may vary. I've noticed though that with my camera, additional sharpening is often unnecessary, at least for custom image sizes (10x15 cm or 13x18 cm) - if I go larger I do the extra bit.</p>

<p>I have also been asking myself such questions lately.<br>

Geoff,<br>

that book looks good, I just bought it used from Amazon marketplace for 10$. I hope its info is not dated but from some of the excerpts he discusses theory and methodology and not simply which buttons to press so I'm guessing the info will have longevity.</p>