Has the Canon 5D Mark II helped your Business?

<p>I'm trying to determine how many people are actually doing better in their photography businesses since upgrading to the new canon 5d Mark II. I have many customers who really don't seem to be able to tell the difference in the upgrades I make. There's been many times where customers have picked the worst photos, under-exposed, hot-spots, bad framing, out of focus, etc. and swear that is their favorite. They just don't see the things which are important to me in a good picture. I was super happy when I upgraded from My Canon Digital Rebel to the much better Canon 30D. However, I can't really say my customers noticed any difference between 6 and 8 MP at all. I plan on scraping all of my old 6 and 8 MP work and create a new portfolio with the 21 MP FF camera, does this make sense?<br>

How many of you existing 5D Mark II users have customers who are acknowledging a noticeable improvement in the quality of your photos since upgrading to this new camera? And, are you able to charge extra based on this improvement or has it helped you land new business you may otherwise not have been able to get.<br>

I want to go a new direction now that I have more experience and what I will now call professional equipment. I.E. no more TFP or TFCD work....</p>

<p>It has helped me in the sense that I have recently been offering free 10min video clip compiliation of the wedding with the video taken from the 5d mkii. I usually capture about a minute every hour and compile the final in a ten minute edited video with transitons, fx, and music background. They love it every single time and have expressed how much better the video looks than the professional videographer took with his professional HD cam. They love that narrow DoF in video effect and the clarity is superb when combined with ef 50mm f1.2L. Last wedding they were surprised that the quality of video came from my DSLR. They said that if they would have known earlier they would not have hired the videographer and insted have me get another guy to shoot video exclusively with a 5D. Same couple actually liked more pics from my 40D(back up) then stills from my 5D. Although I encouraged them to choose a 16*20 from the batch of images taken from the 5d.</p>

<p>No<br>

it's easier to use, bigger viewfinder and bigger and better LCD but I have prints from my 300D, 350D, 20D, 5D and even 'film' prints and nobody who isn't a photographer has ever thought they were from different cameras<br>

Why would you scap pictures just because they are only 6MP. If a picture is good, it's good whether it was shot with a Holga, a Hasselblad, a kodak single use camera or a Canon 5DII</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Wow, both excellent answers. Yes, I am excited about adding HD video to my services offerings. I don't like the idea of giving anything away for free as a way to spice up people doing business with me. But, if it opens the doors to increased business? What was it about 40D pictures they liked over the 5D photos. Don't tell me the 5D photos were TOO CLEAR.<br>

I agree I feel what made my pictures from the 30D better than those from the 300D was the shots I got. I got more and better shots with 30D due to its faster speed. You bring up an excellent point about the 6MP photo I already have. I guess I figured the new photos would be so much better why mix the old with the new. But, I am thinking in terms of IQ not the content of the photo itself. Maybe I will reconsider this after seeing what the work from the new camera actually looks like.<br>

I was thinking of creating a new look (Full Frame) using 5D mark II and old FF film camera ELan 7ne. Kind of re-branding myself with a more specific style than what I had originally which was really no style.<br>

<a href="http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=105472">http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=105472</a><br>

<a href="http://member.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=201816">http://member.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=201816</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don`t believe the final result should be any different from 1 camera to the next and strive to give best quality, Right back to my spotmatic early `70`s the work should exel. even when I used D30 2001 customers struggled to see a difference from T90 prints on the studio walls. I`ve used Hassy`s since the `70`s as well, buying better equipment is not an excuse to increase prices, as a professional the best equipment is expected by the customer, increased services, yes thats a ggod reason but quite often a freeby is good for biz. I did not buy 5d2 because I don`t need the extra pixels and more storage and resourses. Largest prints are 11x14 these days. I stuck with 5d + 40d for main,</p>

<p>Recently with a family shoot the customers claim they were the highest quality he ever saw, hmm shot 40D. who knows why as the largest prints were only 8 x 12. I can see the HD an advantage and a great tool for aquiring some work, but as a free extra lever , after all its just lil xlips special moments, But if the customer request an extension to the service then +$$$. I have a friend, another pro who started digital last year, studio, grad balls weddings events and commercial etc, one of the top charging price in the area, even won national awards. 350D+18~55 kitlens. (his only lens) go figure. If I were doing large prints or big drops I`d get the 5d2, i admit tho the HD is tempting and wonder what the learning curve is on this stuff as I have only ever tried P&S video. Just my 02 cents...good luck</p>

<p>Interesting story about your friend. I really believe running a photography business is 40% good photography and 60% good business / Marketing skills.<br>

I have looked into what Videographers (is that a word?) charge and they are quite expensive on both the capture side and the post editing side. I want to explore mixed media and create like little small commercials. </p>

<p>From the answers you've received so far, and your own experiences, it seems obvious that simply moving up to a 5DII isn't going to change your existing photo business. I recently traded-up from a 30D to a 5DII and for a photo straight out of either camera, there is not a lot of difference at first glance. Where the 5DII outpaces the 30D for me has been in higher ISO's and the ability to aggressively crop if necessary.</p>

<p>I would also be wary of offering video as a supplement to stills. According to the 5DII manual "...the movie shooting will stop automatically if the file size reaches 4GB or if the movie time exceeds 29 min. 59 sec." (page 123). 4GB equals approximately 12 minutes of video in Full HD movie mode. (page 214). The manual doesn't say how long you have to wait until you can start recording video again, but if you're selling video services for any real-time event, like a wedding, it's not hard to imagine your camera suddenly stopping at a critical moment. Of course if you have control over events, then go for it. The 5DII is a hit with filmmakers and their demands are what prompted the recent firmware upgrade. If you don't have a Mac, consider one and software like Final Cut Express for editing video. The 5DII video files are natively in Apples QuickTime .MOV format; you could convert them to .WMV, but the best editing software is Apple's and Mac-only.</p>

<p>Your idea about multimedia is where you might consider expanding your services. You mentioned commercials; don't forget slide shows or presentations. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Your idea about multimedia is where you might consider expanding your services. You mentioned commercials; don't forget slide shows or presentations.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did some quick research on this and this seems better than what I have been doing...<br>

Originally, I wanted a Full Frame camera because when in studio I like switching between my film camera Canon ELAN 7NE and Canon 30D. I shoot hair magazine work and can sometimes get some unique looks and colours using film under studio lights. The problem I had was I always use a tripod when shooting studio and the framing between my 30D and 7NE was so different I couldn't smoothly switch back and forth while using the same lens. Its too hard to move your tripod around between shoots when shooting magazine.<br>

However, although I like occasionally using film to get unique looks there is no demand for it and definetely not going to help me generate new or increased business. With everything moving towards large HD LCD and now LED bases TV's I feel HD is the next new thing for photographers. Being that I am a Windows Systems Engineer I really like the idea of creating slideshows and presentations to run on a HD TV. This sounds great. <br>

Also because I am a Windows Systems Engineer I know I will need a Mac to make this new vision come true :-) Yes, I said it I've been using Windows since the day it was first released and as a result of this 5D purchase I can't wait to get a Mac and learn Final Cut Express and other Mac only professional applications.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, I said it I've been using Windows since the day it was first released and as a result of this 5D purchase I can't wait to get a Mac and <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Tfmw#" target="_blank" >learn</a> Final Cut Express and other Mac only professional applications.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, a mac is the way to go if you want to work video editing for .mov files from the 5d2. That is what I got recently (macbook pro)but before I had a Pentium 4 3ghz pc with 2gb ram(max allowed) and rant those 5d files great once I used cineform conversion and edit with vegas pro 8. Downside on a mac is that it is more difficult to render your production to blu-ray, its easy as hell with my pc desktop and vegas pro 8. Clients love blu-ray, specially with the 5d files that look incredibly sharp and clear on a samsung 55" led lcd. Look into blu-ray production for a mac see if it conviences you, if not you can always stick with windows and use vagas pro or premiere. I dont regret purchasing my mac book because it is great for transporting around and taking my virtual portfolio everywhere.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Clients love blu-ray, specially with the 5d files that look incredibly sharp and clear on a samsung 55"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have a Samsung 46" and when I showed my client her photos on that she absolutely loved it. I don't mind editing my video on the mac and then burning to blu-ray on my PC. I have done researching and the trend has already started of people shooting both photo and video with DSLR's. How hard was the transition from PC to Mac?</p>

<p>The trend is the future in this business. I want to say again that the 5d mkII has helped me. Since I shot a couple of wedding with it, and offering free 10min video, I have been getting several calls asking about my services. I still stan by the free 10min, but charge extra for an hour maximum of quick footage, not actual full day coverage. I would like to get into full coverage, but as of now I only offer video with the canon xh-a1, which I hire a second person(college cinema students) to shoot. Its more conveniant and pacs more pro features for audio, which I think is just as, if not more, important than video. I would have to purchase at least three more 5dmkii(two for video with two extra guys and one for back up to my still cam), 500gb of CF memory, audio adapters(since I already have audio equipment). Until canon improves the features for pro video on the next 5dmkiii or possibly a new pro camcorder with 5dmkII chip and interchangable lens for ef feature(just dreaming), until then I dont see myself offering full event coverage with a 5dmkII, just supplement to my wedding album and video package with HD 3ccd cam.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How hard was the transition from PC to Mac?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, its like driving an 18 weeler for ten years then jumping into an automatic shift BMW with ipod dock.</p>

<p>Mr. Minute Photo, I see you just ordered a 5dmkii from adorama I saw in another threat. Dont be too excited about the video though. It looks awesome, but getting it to focus correctly for moving subjects takes practice, but I suspect you will enjoy the learning process as I have. And now that it has manual features I recommend you get a good prime lens. My 5dmkii does wonders with the ef 50mm f1.2L.</p>

<p>Thanks Enrique<br>

Funny, I was just looking into where I could take some classes on shooting and editing video. Looked at the TravelChannel Academy, but that thing costs as much as my camera and still requires a mac with Final cut pro. I alreay have the 85 1.2 and yes I plan on also getting the 50 1.2L love the L-series primes. I agree I do not want to tackle doing full coverage video (yet!). Just enough to add something new to be one step ahead of the serious competition. Man, even my grandma who can barely see has a Digital SLR. She really just points and shoots, but with a Nikon I think D90 gets some darn good shots.</p>

<p>You can also search youtube for some great free tutorials. When I purchased my macbook pro and final cut pro, i was already experienced in video editing with sony vegas pro 8(windows), FCP is not much different. But youtube tutorials are great even for beginners. If you live in the states why dont u register for a cheap community college course in video editing, that is how I started. I also got a great deal from the arts department recently to purchase my macbook pro and final cut pro. They got me FCP for just 350, they call it a departamental license, the deans assistant is a very cool gal and hooked me up even though i am no longer a student. The travel channel academy sounds real nice too, maybe i'll save up for that because i can imagine it is very expensive. .</p>