Do I have the right lenses for the job?

bethtphotos

<p>I've been asked to photograph the entire 8th grade class in a single photo after their upcoming field day. Sound like a slow walk through hell? <br>

I'm still tempted, but not sure if my equipment is up to the task. It'll be an afternoon shot, outdoors by a lake. </p>

<p>I have 2 Pentax K10d cameras<br>

a Pentax -FA 1:1.4 50mm lens<br>

a Sigma EX 17-35 mm 1:28-4 DG lens<br>

a Pentax DA*1:2.8 50-135mm<br>

a Pentax DA 50-200 4-5.6ED<br>

I've got flash unit, & tripod...my biggest concern is my lens. Seems like a big shot to get everyone clear.<br>

If I don't have the right lens, can you recommend one?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Beth,<br>

You have not shared how many adolescent energy units comprise the entire 8th grade class, but I think you are good to go. Depending on the number, the Sigma should handle it just fine. If not that then the DA* will if you can get some distance away. I would also recommend using a remote so you can engage them for a second prior to the shot with your whole person. When shooting kids I often find the best shots happen before and after the formal ones.</p>

<p>Are you able to scout out the location and try to find the right place ahead of time? My assumption is that it will help if you can get on some higher ground to fit everyone in. Make sure you can plan on the angle of the sun as well. Maybe bring a ladder, get up in a tree, or perhaps you can drive a car near your location and get on the roof.</p>

<p>You will need to enlist help with corralling the pack; often field day has parent volunteers so plan with them earlier. Consider bringing a funny prop to wave at them like boxer shorts.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thank you so much! There will be 135 very happy to be on their way to high school kids! I'm glad the Sigma can do the job, and I will definitely scout the location out beforehand. At the same time of day that the shoot will take place.<br>

I love the idea of a ladder, and the boxer shorts, too. Thanks so much. I think I can venture forth bravely, thanks to your help!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd suggest using benches too. Get them in four rows... one row sitting or kneeling on the ground... one row sitting on benches... one row standing and then the fourth row standing on a set of benches. It bunches them nicely. Also, try to figure out your shooting distance and aperture beforehand.</p>

<p>Beth you have a well rounded kit, the only thing you might want to add in the future is more lighting.</p>

<p>Honestly for outdoors you don't even need flash units, reflectors are cheap and will do plenty to fill in the shadows, but for 135 kits even reflectors might not get the job done. It's really important to have some fill lighting if you are shooting these during the school day which means usually sometime between 9-3 or peak high contrast lighting.</p>

<p>If you can get to the location a day before with a sample subject (or yourself) to at least set the shot up to keep the lighting as optimal as possible to reduce shadows.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Photographing 8th graders? No sweat. Three required elements:</p>

<p>1. Wagon Wheel<br>

2. Fence post (right arm should always rest on the fence)<br>

3. Bail of Hay</p>

<p>AAAhhhh... All 135 at the same time? That's gonna be a lot of hay.</p>

<p>Beth, I hope you'll post your picture once you've taken it! I'm considering purchasing that same lens and would like to see how it handles a group that large. I wish you the best of luck! I absolutely detest shooting large groups! Have you used this lens at the 17mm a lot? Does it distort at all? </p>

<p>Thanks, all. I'll definitely post the shots after the ceremony next week. Alisa: I've been pretty happy with my Sigma lens, and can't say I've noticed a lot of distortion in the past. But to be completely honest, I've really only used it for architectural photography before, not with people. & this is certainly the largest group I've photographed to date!</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the suggestions!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Well, I wouldn't exactly say it was a disaster...but...<br>

I have never shot such a large group before, so I underestimated the amount of happy force & gentle control I'd have to exert.<br>

First, the plan was to shoot the photograph with a view of the lake behind the kids, but then the organizers wanted to use a balloon arch over the group. The wind was strong & the arch kept blowing away, so at the last minute, they decided to move the shot. That was ok, because shooting with the lake view meant shooting into the sun, which would have been really tricky.<br>

The kids dribbled in, just when we'd get everyone lined up, more kids would show up. One of the parents tried to "help" with the group organization, but didn't understand what I wanted...(I thought an inverted pyramid shape would work...but when the stragglers arrived, the kids would move around. They were very fluid with no bleachers or guidelines.<br>

What I did right: first took a couple of serious shots, then told the kids we could take a couple of fun ones. They liked that, & for the most part were cooperative. One boy in the front just couldn't be bothered with the whole thing, so that was a drag. I wish I'd moved him.<br>

Next time I would: organize the crowd more mathematically...say 100 kids w/ rows of varying lengths in an upside down V shape but with the rows at a slight rounding curve.<br>

Next time I would: be louder, and physically move the kids into position myself.<br>

Optimally I would lay out markers for the kids to line up with, if no bleachers or stands were available.<br>

Anyway, slightly embarrassed, but I'm posting a photo anyway, as promised.</p>

<p>Well, I wouldn't exactly say it was a disaster...but...<br>

I have never shot such a large group before, so I underestimated the amount of happy force & gentle control I'd have to exert.<br>

First, the plan was to shoot the photograph with a view of the lake behind the kids, but then the organizers wanted to use a balloon arch over the group. The wind was strong & the arch kept blowing away, so at the last minute, they decided to move the shot. That was ok, because shooting with the lake view meant shooting into the sun, which would have been really tricky.<br>

The kids dribbled in, just when we'd get everyone lined up, more kids would show up. One of the parents tried to "help" with the group organization, but didn't understand what I wanted...(I thought an inverted pyramid shape would work...but when the stragglers arrived, the kids would move around. They were very fluid with no bleachers or guidelines.<br>

What I did right: first took a couple of serious shots, then told the kids we could take a couple of fun ones. They liked that, & for the most part were cooperative. One boy in the front just couldn't be bothered with the whole thing, so that was a drag. I wish I'd moved him.<br>

Next time I would: organize the crowd more mathematically...say 100 kids w/ rows of varying lengths in an upside down V shape but with the rows at a slight rounding curve.<br>

Next time I would: be louder, and physically move the kids into position myself.<br>

Optimally I would lay out markers for the kids to line up with, if no bleachers or stands were available.<br>

Anyway, slightly embarrassed, but I'm posting a photo anyway, as promised.</p>

<div>00Tlfb-148351584.jpg.bdd63f3411c63293b679e0391d4f6c32.jpg</div>

<p>Hey Beth, no reason to be embarassed! I am convinced shooting large groups is the most difficult endeavor for a portrait photographer! LOL! At least you know now your lens can perform under those circumstances. Thanks for following up and posting the examples!</p>