Printer recommendations

natalie_l

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

Can you recommend a photo printer? I'd like to print engagement pictures inhouse (occasionally), some wedding pictures for clients and headshots. I dont have a budget and will wait if need be if its a higher price point.<br>

If you could have any printer inhouse (with reasonable space for it), which would you buy/recommend? I saw a few B&H rebates for the pixma 9000 series and above.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Natalie</p>

<p>The Epson R280 works well for printing up to letter size and also prints CD/DVD labels in full color on inkjet printable media. I use mine with a continous ink system that saves a TON on ink costs over the Epson OEM inks. I can print forever and refill the six-color inks very economically. You can often pick up one of these printers for less than $90 and the CIS system is under $100.</p>

<p>I like the Epsons because of the CD/DVD printing, which HP and Canon lack.</p>

<p>There is no economy in inkjet printing so unless you do fine art printing as well I suggest finding a good lab. It's fast, much cheaper and much less time consuming than printing on your own. That's what I do even if I have a great inkjet printer.</p>

<p>I see a refurbished 3800 on amazong for $799, would anyone consider it? I've never been one to go refurb? but the price looks good...<br>

I do send all my work to a lab, but occasionally having inhouse printing would be convenient.</p>

<p>The Epson 3800 has a killer advantage compared to many of the other printers being discussed ... the Pro bundle comes with Colorburst RIP.</p>

<p>This RIP does two things of interest: it produces higher print IQ compared to sending the same file to the same printer using PhotoShop plug-ins (I tested this), and it allows you to select multiple images at the same time for the 3800 que rather than having to individually send images one-by-one like when using the PS Plug-In. I've sent 50 8X10s to the 3800 in 5 seconds. Then you can go on to do other work while the 3800 prints. </p>

<p>If a refurb comes with an ink set and the RIP it would be a good deal. If not, I wouldn't even consider it. Without the RIP it's just another printer and produces the same IQ as a 2400 with the advantage of the occasional 17 X 22 and the disadvantage that it doesn't take rolls. </p>

<p>The only advantage that I can see with using rolls is the ability to feed a panoramic image to the printer at 17" deep X longer than 22". Paper costs are not an issue if you buy in bulk quantities. For example, Epson Premium Luster in 250 sheet boxes reduces cost per sheet. </p>

<p>True, Marc, I did like the idea though of being able to do Extreme wide Panos however. The 3800 is suprizingly cheap too. I like the fact that I don't have to use 3rd party printers to do my work, means I can get my work to my clients faster. Love the Epson matte range of papers, especially nice with B/W</p>