New D90 Focus Problems

jay_kayrouz

<p>Hello all. I'm fairly new here and to photography in general. I've been reading the forums for a while but havent posted because I havent really needed to yet. I just purchased a new D90. I upgraded from a D40. I read my manual and have read lots about the D90 online as well as a D90 specific book. My problem is this. Most all of my photos are out of focus. No matter what mode I'm in they range from slightly to way out of focus. It doesnt matter which lens I use although the 18 -55mm that came with my D40 seems to take the best pictures with this camera. I dialed in my diopter adjustment. Rechecked it several times and shot more to see if there was a difference but there isnt. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with this camera. Any ideas? Is there a setting I'm forgetting? I searched the forums and didn't find anything so I thought I'd post this here since it's a Nikon camera. </p>

<p>What happens when you place the camera on a tripod, use single-focus mode, and focus on something like a piece of silverware lying on a table top? Reduce variables by changing only one thing at a time. And, as David mentions, size-down an example of a problem shot and post it here as an attachment to a comment in this thread. The EXIF data will hopefully be intact in the file, and we'll see how the camera was set up.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I'm at work now and am unable to post any pictures. I will tomorrow. I dont have a tripod with me. I know I need one but I'm deployed overseas right now and just dont have the room for one until Im back home. I will post some sample pics tommorow. Thanks a bunch.</p>

<p>I have found on both the D50 and D90 that unless I use the single point focus mode I get many out-of-focus images. On the D90 I have simply selected the center point and locked the focus with the focus lock switch to make sure that the selected point doesn't doesn't inadvertantly get changed.</p>

<p>On the front of the camera, right beside where the lens connects to the body is a switch with positions labeled M, C, and S. (Or maybe just M and S). If that switch is pointing to M it means that the camera is in Manual Focus Mode, and it expects you to do the focusing. Switch it to C or S in order to activate Auto Focus Modes.</p>

<p>There are number of autofocus modes. Some let you select which part of the scene on which to focus. Some will focus on the closest object in front of one of the AF sensors. Press the menu button on the back of the camera and navigate to the custom settings menus to determine what settings are enabled. Experiment with these settings until you find one that works for what you're trying to shoot.</p>

<p>I would definitely check the focus point. I usually just keep mine of the center point and focus then recompose my shot. If the subject you're shooting is moving then you need to change the focus to continuous or else it will just focus at one point instead of tracking. If you have some examples that would help too.</p>

<p>Jay, I recently went through similar problems with my D90. I am a fairly new DSLR user also. First of all, I suggest you listen to what people are saying on here, as it helped me greatly. Try all the advice you get, if for nothing else than to learn about your camera.</p>

<p>Secondly, don't think it is NOT the camera. Plenty of people here kept telling me my pictures were blurry because of something I was doing wrong. I came from a D80 with no focus problems. Then all of a sudden, a new camera is thrown in the mix with the same old lenses, and pictures turn out blurry. Did your D40 have problems?</p>

<p>In the end, my thoughts were correct from the beginning. The camera had a problem. I sent it to Nikon with 2 of my lenses, and they are repairing the camera. I should be getting it back any day now. I'm not saying that your camera needs to be fixed, but it is a possibility.</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses. Jason, my D40 takes exellent pictures and has no focus problems in any of the auto focus modes. It's kind of hard to take a bad picture with that camera. I just wanted a second camera so I wasnt constantly having to change lenses in this very dirty and dusty environment. We go from bright and sunny to full on dust storms in a matter of minutes here. I decided to go for the D90 as a second camera. I'm still working on posting a few samples. I will do so as soon as I can. Once again, thank you very much for the input. </p>

<p>Even using the center focus point only I found my first shots with the D90 did not appear as well focused as with my D40. I came to the conclusion that it was poor handholding technique that had been largely masked by the 6MP resolution of my D40 and was now visible at the 12MP of D90. This is based upon the following evidence - more "out-of-focus" shots at longer focal lengths, with or without VR and higher number of in-focus shots when braced or camera mounted on a tripod.<br>

Having had the D90 now for a while I have found that I no longer get routine out-of-focus shots and am back to the same rate of keepers as the D40.</p>

<p>Testing in a movement-free setting is a must.</p>

<p>I believe you are right Alan. I just got the monopod that came bundled with this camera in the mail today and took some shots and they came out a lot better. I got some sunset pictures that I was quite happy with. This camera likes to be held very steady. I guess my technique needs to improve considerably before I start to see how this camera can really perform. I was just used to being able to take great pics really fast with the D40. From moving vehicles, helocopters etc. with no problems. This D90 is different. Thank you for your input Alan. I still plan on posting pictures, I'm just having problems getting them onto this work computer. No USB allowed so I have to use other methods.</p>

<p>Here is a pic I took last night. I dont think anything is wrong with the camera. It just likes to be held very still. I've really been making an effort to be as steady as possible when shooting. I need a tripod. No way around it. Thank you for all the responses. They really helped me out. </p><div>00TgpS-145527684.jpg.58a4a7819318e24aa8cc5d22effc2741.jpg</div>

<p>I don't know, Jay; I love my D90! I don't have any problems with the autofocus or any of the other settings. I rarely use a tripod*, especially if I'm chasing mobile subjects such as birds. The VR feature on Nikon lenses really helps to give you a few more f-stops than normally needed, especially in lower light. I do change to manual focus when I'm using my macro lens, but in general situations, I simply don't understand why you're having such severe difficulties.<br>

Unfortunately, it's difficult to see any focus problems with the photo you've posted.<br>

I've always found that taking a breath and holding it while tripping the shutter helps--have you tried that? <br>

*For the purists out there, YES I do realize I should be using a tripod as often as possible, and some of my photos are a bit soft because of my resistance. They say admitting you have a problem is partway to a cure, right?</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Almost a sense of deja vu. I also had a D40 which was brilliant and never a problem with focusing. I upgraded to a D90 and all of sudden a lot of my shots were just not pin sharp. I take a lot of wildlife / bird shots so focusing is always going to be a bit hit and miss so I expect some out of focus. I experimented with every possible combination of focus mode, vr and aperture. It eventually came down to only ever using the centre focus point. Any use of multiple focus points was a waste of time. I also found that most of the time I had to use an aperture of around F10. Any wide open apertures seemed to make matters worse. I also found that using the active VR supposedly for use in moving vehicles made things a little better. I must also say that I have spent a lot of time doubting myself. I have recently upgraded to a D300S and suddenly the proportion of shots that I take that are really pin sharp has gone up from around 20 -30% with the D90 to around 90% with the D300S using exactly the same Nikon lenses. Still think it might have been me but this post seems to agree with my experience</p>