Pentax Spotmatic--I'm Afraid I've Been Seduced...Again!

<p>The first REAL camera I ever owned was a Spotmatic, which I saved for in high school and bought new in 1967. I still have it, along with the 55mm, f/1.8 lens. I was seduced from the very beginning.</p>

<p>It took me several months of bussing tables and washing dishes at local restaurants to save the money ($220 in 1967), so I had plenty of time to haunt camera stores (we still HAD camera stores back then) and handle a lot of different cameras. I looked at the Prakticas that were available, the Mamiya-Sekors, came very close to getting a Minolta SRT 101, and even played with a Nikon F in the store. I kept coming back to the Spotmatic. I finally decided that it had just about as good build quality as the Nikon, at half the price. Plus, the reputation of Pentax lenses of the time was that they were second to none. Plus, the Spotmatic was, and still is, the most satisfying camera to hold, that I've ever encountered.</p>

<p>I still use the Super Takumar lenses on my K10D dslr. They still produce excellent images. I have since accumulated eleven Pentax SLRS, but I still like the Spotmatic best.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<p>Pentax Spotmatic was the first camera in my collection. My love relationship with Pentax goes back to 1986 when I bought the ME-Super which mesmerized me. I had to sell it but 20 years later when I returned to photography I got myself the Spotmatic Sp with the 50/ 1.4, 24/ 3.5 and 135/ 2.8. What a powerful kit. I also posted few times if you check the archives. Enjoy your Spotty. </p>

<p>It's an easy seduction. The Pentax Spotmatic was, and still is, a fine camera. The way it feels in the hand indicates that it an extremely well built machine. The quality of the lenses is also optically and mechanically excellent. Both were buily every bit as good or better than what the Germans were doing in the day at a much easier to swallow price point. I have an old Spottie with a non-functioning meter. Being pretty good at estimating exposures by eye, I don't really care about the meter. The 50 mm f/1.4 Super Takumar mounted on it will stand its own against its contemporary and later competitors. What's not to like? </p>

<p>I have so many cameras that I can't keep film in them all at the same time, so when my Spotmatic is without film for a couple of weeks, I just have to get it out and play with it for a while. Besides my Minolta XE-5 and SRT's no other camera in my collection gets this much attention.<br>

On the day that I took the first two photos I posted, I walked around for a couple of hours and got numerous compliments on the Spotmatic and 50mm 1.4 lens.</p>

<p>If your Spotmatic locks up, don't despair. I've unlocked a few Spotmatics and variants with no training, and a brief review of a downloaded manual. The ones I tinkered with often just needed a little TLC. The previous owners sold off the cameras "for parts"; when I got them, usually I couldn't trip the shutter or charge the film advance lever.</p>

<p>Several times, I got those parts moving again in about an hour. I had one that took an afternoon to get moving again, but the others were simple jams. A small screwdriver, a lens spanner and some cleaning covered a big part of it. Foam replacement is super easy, also. It's as though the camera was built with maintenance in mind. With no skills and no training, I was able to perform some basic repairs by consulting a manual.</p>

<p>I'm no expert, but I can now open, inspect the interior, and reassemble my camera with confidence. I cannot completely rebuild the camera, but I gained a much better basic understanding of the works. It's kind of like brake work or changing the oil in your car; some mechanical familiarity with the basics helps. Because of the Spotmatic tinkering, today I was able to confidently fix a minor problem in a small adapter; saved $25 and got that part working again. The Spotmatics boosted my confidence and helped me to understand and solve some basic problems that were a total mystery before.</p>

<p>I recommend getting one as a parts camera and tinkering with it; keep that nice one nice, but get a "broken" one and take a small screwdriver to it, and see what you can learn. I have really enjoyed the project cameras.</p>

<p>Pentax Spotmatics, their predecessors, and successors, are built like a tank. They're pretty much the '57 Chevy of cameras.</p>

<p>Really, the only difficulties I had in getting inside were: stuck bolts and not having a pointy lens spanner, at first. With some basic tools, a little cleaning, and a copy of a repair manual, interior inspections were easy to learn. At least I could see what was wrong with the cameras. Most of the important moving parts are visible when the top and bottom covers are removed. Often, some levers on the underside were just out of synch in their clockworks. A simple reset and they were able to get going again.</p>

<p>John, one look at that picture, and it convinced me that you've got a lot more guts than I have. All those parts - I'd never manage to get them all back together properly. I'm sure I'd leave out all the screws and then who-ever picked it up next - probably me - would be in dire straights when it would fall apart in my hands...</p>

<p>But, I'm really glad that there are lots of techie types out there that know what they're doing. :)</p>

<p>Great thing about Spotmatics, apart from the sweet handling, is that there are so many around, keeps the price down. You can see by the responses just how popular these cameras were, and rightly so. The old ad for the Spotties ran " just hold a Spotmatic", and you can see how correct they were.<br>

It would seem that you are about half way down that slippery slope, see you at the bottom!</p>

<p>John - following directions from a manual? ... are you saying that the manual was actually well written? :) (I can't even follow a recipe to bake a cake - I really don't think that following directions for fixing a camera would come out much better... ) But if you're ever in Boston and want to try out one of my baking attempts - and don't break your teeth on it... you might convince me to try something more technical with lots of positive praises on my skills as a chef ... </p>

<p>Nothing better than having random strangers stopping in to boost my confidence levels (and ego)... ;) (and you could be lucky and get one of those baking attempts that come out runny in the middle and burnt around all the edges... )</p>

<p>It is good to see something other than the Minolta SLR's being discussed favorably here.<br>

My first SLR, after finishing school, and getting a real job, was a Spotmatic F (I waited 10 years to buy that Pentax, from Selwyn Schwartz at Helix in Chicago). I still have it and use it (after a visit to Eric Hendrickson) although I am partial to Leitz hardware these days.<br>

That Spotmatic F has been around the world with me, did good duty in the delivery room, and also served my wife well for years.<br>

It is difficult to understand why the Spotmatics are not, apparently, valued more highly but, on the other hand, they can be had for pocket change. Let us count our blessings.</p>

<p>In the heyday of M42 lens mounts, the major attraction of Pentax (and others) was all that M42 glass that was available from various makers. When the K mount debuted and other M42 cameras began to switch the attraction was all the bargains to be had in M42 glass. Now, the climax: With so many of our well-liked classics so inexpensive now, there's no excuse not to pick up Pentax Takumars now (if you're looking for them, of course) because most of them are now bargains. I plan to pick up some Takumar glass for my Spotmatic in the near future to supplement the 50mm f1.4 Takumar that I already have. Looking to eventually acquire the 28mm f3.5 and 135mm f3.5 to start. May later get the "oddball" focal length 150mm telephoto.<br>

Great thread, Andy and look forward to seeing some photos.</p>

<p>All i could add is that i can concur with most of the above.<br>

But don't you all think its as much the look and FEEL<br>

of those cameras- SP in point here, that we love and long for so much?<br>

I am not trying to fish here at all for a new topic.<br>

Very happy for you Andy!</p>

<p> </p>