Selling the Disk!

carolinastudios

<p>We included a DVD with the Raw {and if they have paid for the editing } a final corrected- large jpeg ....a pro lab 4X6 for matching ~ can also be included --just up to the B&G what they can afford.</p>

<p>This is a business, and if you don't give the customers the product they want, they'll find someone who will. In 2009 people want to use their pictures online. And it's not enough to offer a web resolution disk because then they feel they're getting a crappy quality substitute for the real product.</p>

<p>And as far as quality between pro labs and costco. That really doesn't matter to the average person. I can show someone a picture taken with my D90, and even point out how razor sharp the detail is, the way you can see every strand of hair, the detail in the shadows, etc. And they'll stand there and tell me they don't see the difference from a $100 subcompact point and shoot. This kind of person won't care if the print comes from mpix or walmart. And for better or for worse, that's the customer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"And as far as quality between pro labs and costco. That really doesn't matter to the average person. I can show someone a picture taken with my D90, and even point out how razor sharp the detail is, the way you can see every strand of hair, the detail in the shadows, etc. And they'll stand there and tell me they don't see the difference from a $100 subcompact point and shoot. This kind of person won't care if the print comes from mpix or walmart. And for better or for worse, that's the customer"</p>

<p>Sell the images up front ---- in our market there is no post sales. If you used to average $4-500 in <em>profit </em> selling enlargements .......add that to your package price and hand over the DVD.</p>

<p>Offer unedited files > if they are too cheap < We tell them, when they can afford the CS work > send the disk back ~~~ and we will do our magic. They usually pay the extra $ at that point. ;-) We offer a discount :: if we can just deliver RAWs to the client .</p>

<p>As we have mentioned :: we sell the card right from the camera. The new world of consumers are trying every angle to save ...so we accommodate. But, we also shoot manual flash/camera and very little real PJ ~~ so the images are not really in need of major CS editing. Whatever works -- to stay in business after 30 years.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is my final thought on this...as I sometimes say too much anyways...to anyone who doesn't offer up digital negatives.....</p>

<p>If you aren't willing to give up the digital negatives because you want to hold on to your work for reprints or other reasons or you don't want them to be printed on "poor" printers, you need check your ego. Do you really feel that your work is bigger than their day, their memories, their emotions? That your work is bigger than that one defining moment in their lives? Do you think that the emotions are different in a slightly less than perfect shade of white? I know that my photos are not bigger than that. What is in the photos and what it represents is MUCH bigger and because of that I want each and everyone of our couples to take all the photos and have them forever. To print, view, and do as they like. Let them relive every moment of that day through ALL the photos via the media they desire. Not through the prints that you want them to print through you.</p>

<p>This is my opinion and some will disagree and possible even get angry for me attacking their egos.....that is fine. The internet has given us this great gift of discussion boards.</p>

<p>My thoughts are this.... charge enough for your services to shoot and edit the images, do your best to capture the best quality images you can. Provide the client with only the good stuff, don't give them the ones that no one would want. Provide the option of printing with you if you like. Give them instructions on how to choose a good lab for prints if you provide a disc. I also like to resize for the web, so they have a version that is already prepared for online social networking sites like facebook or myspace, etc. Cater to the needs and desires of your clients and you will be a hero in their eyes.</p>

<p>Thank you Seri, I agree for the most part. I cater very much to my clients needs as much as I can. And I don't think "checking my ego" has anything to do with it. I think that even though we are in a digital age as ARTISTS we should not have to completely give into the public just because that's what they think want. I don't belive picaso would have sold his incomplete pieces just because someone wanted them. I do not belive that I am not giving them their memories or moments. I give them a proof book and archival CD with web ready prints so they are getting everything just not EVERYTHING. And if you don't belive that your photo's are bigger than that then you aren't catering to the clients that I am. They very much know what shade of white they are looking at. </p>

<p>Up to now, I've been in the <em>'hold back the images'</em> camp, but I think I've changed my mind having read everyone's comments.<br>

There are, however, a few practical and specific questions that I'd appreciate your help on:<br>

1 - What Color Space would you use when when converting your images from RAW to Jpeg? I use Lightroom. My camera (D200) is set to Adobe RGB (is this the best choice?).<br>

2 - What size do you reckon is the best to put on the DVD? The original and be done with it, or a choice?<br>

3 - Do you also include B&W versions?<br>

4 - Do you have <em>any </em> chargeable options for different combinations of size/treatment on a DVD?<br>

Hope you can share your experience.<br>

Regards</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>1. sRGB is more widely used. Adobe RGB gives you more, but not all printers are there yet.<br>

2. We put the original res image on the DVD.<br>

3. Through our editing we create some black and white as well as other effects. These are all then exported at the same time and that is what goes on the DVD. So we may only end up with 2,000 original shots, but after edits have 2,200 from different variations of presets in LR.<br>

4. No, everything goes out original res with the edits. We are open to working with clients after the fact if they want additional edits done as part of the original cost.</p>

<p>Hope that helps. I am more than willing to share if you have any other questions.</p>

<p>Our wedding today --the B&G take the cards at the end of the session ------SO its the future in budget weddings ~~ a step beyond selling the DVD . If they are not skilled in the RAW process ..they can always hire someone in their area or return the files to me. We shoot with a L jpeg and RAW. It is your creative image you are selling.....<br>

With a market of destination weddings ..we have to be economically creative ...we started handing over film, from the camera, back in the 90's ...it's whatever works for your clients' budget.</p>

<p>Hopefully I can add my two-penneth-worth to this awesome debate. Over and above the "proof" shots, I provide the couple with a DVD presentation disk complete with background music (their specific songs) and fade-in and out etc.... a musical slideshow if you will. I have found that I sell more of the disks than reprints as the couple invariably have family and friends overseas who could not be at the wedding but can now feel part of it.<br />Obviously the shots are all edited and sequential to the event....... Reprints are still my baby and whilst the disk can be copied, the photo's cannot be extracted.....anyway it works for me.<br />Regards</p>

<p>Yes, I tend to agree that most pro wedding photographers are giving the bridal client a CD in the current era of the best images the photographer feels worthy of his/her skill and the best shots that will please the client. Obviously due to poor ighting, posing conditions, some images are tossed anyway. But I would possibly throw in a recommendation of several labs that do quality printing for wedding work, rather than the local drugstore or grandma's 5 year old ink jet printer that hasn't been maintained with proper cleaning and dried up, flaky inks. Just a thought</p>