2 Canon 1D (4mp) wont sync with Flash! Help!

nicole_mcgowan

<p>Hello Fellow Photographers:<br /><br />I have sought out help from numerous pro photographers in the area, all to no avail. They have no idea how to fix my problem. <br /><br />Could you be my savior in disguise?<br /><br />So, my Canon 1D will not sync TTL with the 580EXII or the 450EX. I have tried multiple settings and multiple flashes and all have had the same outcome. The flash will fire every time I shoot, but it does not make a difference on my images. Even though the Flash Compensation was nearly full power! I have recently borrowed another 1D from a friend and it is doing the exact same thing, this happens with BOTH cameras. Now I am hoping that it is a faulty error of the user and not the camera, otherwise, I have coincidentally found two that are having the exact same problems. The camera does however work fine with strobes. I brought the camera to Dury's but they could not help either. He did use an aftermarket flash and that worked, but that flash was not capable of ETTL. <br /><br />Now I did not know if the newer flashes might not sync with the 1D. Do you think that maybe the 550EX would work (that is the flash that is mentioned in the manual). Hum.....<br /><br />Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, my Canon 1D will not sync TTL with the 580EXII...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can't use TTL with the 1D. You have to use E-TTL. All EX series flashes should work with the 1D in E-TTL mode. DSLRs do not work in TTL mode.</p>

<p>Exactly what do you mean by "it won't sync"?</p>

<p>I have tried to make it work with multiple flash units. The 580EX II and the 450 EX as well. I have borrowed them from friends who say that the flashes work fine on their cameras every time. What happens is every time I take a picture, it will not make a difference on my images no matter what my ISO, AP, or Shutter Speed are set to. Heck... It doesn't make a difference even if I have it set on P. The strobe will flash every time I shoot, but even in a dark room, there is no difference on the pics. It will work on manual, but it will not do E-TTL. And this happens on both of the 1D cameras I have. </p>

<p>BTW if usin studio dtrobes with EX flashes the pre flash for metering will set off the studio strobes premature. 1: use all `manual` and flash meter 2: press `*` and hold it while shooting as a workaround or 3: slave the studio strobes with the appropiate slaves to prevent this preflash setoff :) any canon studio pro could tell you this...HTH</p>

<p>Maybe you have the custom function set to disable flash? I sometimes use this when I only want AF assist and later forget to set it back and think my friggen flash is hosed...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>OK, typicle normal type flash would be 200ISO, camera `M`, 1/60th/sec @ f5.6. subject 6~10 feet. and you get total dark image ? can you describe your scene and settings, and are your CF at default as PP says? :)_what happens with one flash eg 580ex2 set to normal, not master or slave</p>

<p>I would call Canon and describe the problem. My guess is that they will suggest you send the camera in for tham to take a look at. I've heard of a few problems with the hot shoe on the original 1D. While I guess it's unlikley two would fail in the same way, it's certainly possible.<br>

The flash you're seeing in E-TTL is most likely the metering pre-flash. Sync may be fine, but you may not be getting the main flash. It's possible (indeed likely?) that the pre-flash and main flash use different pins on the hotshoe connector.</p>

<p>Now this may be just a one off, I found an ol D30 (2001 model) in the cabinet and put a 580ex2 on it, It took heaps to get it to fire right, seems could not get all contacts at once. I`m not sure if the metal foot is thinner than a plastic one but it appeared loose in the hotshoe, an older 580 and 550 and 430 with screw down shoes were fine. I placed a thin bit of biz card either side the top of the hot shoe, when the 580ex2 slides in it moves it downqards and when tightened a firmer fit. D30 then never missed a beat, comp works as well. I know its not a 1D but about same vintage and could be something completely different, the hot shoes look alike the newer models cept for the switch plate :)</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Thanks for all of your help guys! After trying out all of your ideas, I decided to buy a 550EX Speedlight. And that in itself solved my problem. I think my problem started because the contacts on the 580EX II speedlight and the camera could not reach each other. The 550EX has to be screwed on to the hotshoe instead of being locked on like the new flashes do. Thanks for all of the help! </p>