Is it kosher to ask for unpaid assistants in this forum?

kwest1

<p>I'm trying to find someone to help me schlep gear for a Saturday gig, who would ideally be trying to learn about the wedding photography workflow. I'm nowhere near able to pay assistants at this point, and a friend I had scheduled to help bailed on me because of a family emergency of some sort.</p>

<p>Awesome: that's a relief. I ask because I just got done with the h*ll that is Craigslist. Apparently that community hates it so much that even though it's not against CL policy, all of the users flag 'free help wanted' type posts to have them removed on the spot. It's an unwritten rule the users have created themselves, and it really aggravates me.</p>

<p>Anywho...</p>

<p>Konrad - I'm located in Austin, TX, and this wedding is 45 miles Southeast of the city in a small town called Smithville. The ceremony is at 4PM on this Saturday, and I only need an assistant to help set up my lights for formals, move things around if I am too busy with something else to do it, and perhaps hold a reflector every once in a while. You are welcome to practice taking candids during the reception, although the only thing I could afford to let anyone borrow (at this point) would be my Rebel Xti that I use as a backup to a backup. Am happy to share what knowledge I have about my experience so far with anyone who is wanting to learn, although you should know I am still getting into the groove. Teaching what I have learned helps me reinforce it to myself and perfect my own system.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've done hundreds of weddings without anyone "schlepping" my gear. The few times I've invited someone along to shoot and gain experience, I've let them do some shooting and still have done my own schlepping. I'm not very fond of shooters that invite a spouse or a friend to the wedding to serve as an assistant. While there are undoubtedly times that it's legitimate, there's many times that it's unnecessary. I remember one wedding where the videoguy shows up with one videocam and two assistants, leaving me outnumbered 3 to 1.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You are welcome to practice taking candids during the reception</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kerri,<br>

Remember that if you have a release to use the images you create for display, advertising, etc., your "assistant" does not. The images that he/she takes are yours and don't turn them over to the assistant. If you're going to let someone else shoot, it's best to provide the memory cards and insist that you take them with you at the end of the job...-Aimee</p>

<p>That's sound advice, Aimee. Make sure you have some sort of aggreemnet or contract before going into anything. I take all the cards at the end of the day, do all the PP, make the albums, presentations, client handling, and do the delivery of all the assets. It's your name on everything. Make sure it's crystal on your assistant's end.</p>

<p>Kerri:</p>

<p>While you can certainly ask, I would discourage using "free" mules. I certainly would not show up to a paid gig with somebody I don't know very well and who isn't even working for me. Seems risky, at best, for you.</p>

<p>From the assistant's viewpoint, it's one thing to go along as an unpaid intern to learn. It's another to haul somebody's gear for free.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I'd go for something that gave me a chance to practice shooting, but if I'm not getting paid, copyright stays with me. It would be pointless for me if I'm not boosting my portfolio.</p>

<p>And I don't see why I'd go schlepp gear for someone for free, it's not something that would help me learn to be a wedding photographer.</p>

<p>You should get a packhorse. Don't think many people would opt for carrying around and lugging all your gear.<br>

They certainly wouldn't learn much about wedding photography workflow in 1 day!</p>

<p>Why do you need all this gear? You would miss many great spontaneous shots setting up.</p>

<p>Go light and shoot fast.</p>

<p>How would you feel about being an unpaid assistant for 1 wedding lugging heavy gear around while you make the money?</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Ron</p>