Filters and storing them

david_russell8

<p>I just got my DSLR, and since I have a bag and tripod organised I reckoned the next thing to sort out would be filters. The first of these will be the obligatory Hoya Pro1 CPL, and I'm also looking at getting an ND. Since my main (ie only that I can think of) use for it will be 'silky water', I was thinking of getting one of B+W's ND-110 (10 stop) filters. Does anyone have experience of using these - particularly the 'slightly stronger warm tone' compared to their weaker filters (this from the online store selling the things!) My thinking in going for a powerful (don't know the technical term :P) ND is that I will be able to get second-plus exposures without having to go to very small apertures and losing sharpness from diffraction.<br>

EDIT: Forgot my other main question: storage. Do these filters come with a hard case for safe storage in a camera bag, or will I have to buy one separately?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Do these filters come with a hard case for safe storage ..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p>As to the first part of your question, I don't have personal experience with these <strong>specific</strong> filters. But I do own both Hoya and B+W filters. The Hoya cases (slightly rectangular clear plastic) are typically bulkier than the B+W cases (square semi-opaque case).</p>

<p>If you buy them new, almost all filters, both screw-in and Cokin-style, come in plastic cases of some kind.</p>

<p>Many people prefer various solutions to filter storage. There are mutliple filter boxes, folding cases, wallets, stacking caps,and a plethora of other solutions-- bottomline: no one has yet figured out the "perfect" solution</p><div>00Tbx8-142589584.JPG.c4f39c8839e75e34750b85e6f6f08f06.JPG</div>

<p>I have never used a ten stop filter; that sounds like a lot. Today I was using a stack with two three stop filters, an ND8X and blue 47, and I could barely see through it. Yesterday, I used that same stack and could only see parts of the subject in direct sunlight with a dark cloth over the camera. You may get more utility out of a three stop ND. Just be aware that it may be difficult to see through the SLR with that ten stop on there. </p>

<p>For carrying, I use a wallet or a stack with two caps for the contrast filters (AgX); it so happens that a 72mm lens cap I got by accident one time fits the backside of a 77mm filter. Most of the lenses ride with UV and PL on there pretty much all the time anyway.</p>

<p>If you are looking at filters, I'd recommend considering lens diameter. Step up rings can save you from a bunch of unnecessary refitting costs. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get all my non-49 mm's in 77mm. This is pretty much what I ended up using anyway, except for UV glass for T-shirt cleaning protection. YMMV.</p>

<p>Stacking is great unless you have a filter that rotates (such as a polarizer or graduated neutral density) in the stack. In that case the rotating one will make it difficult or nearly impossible to separate filters in the stack, leading one to waste precious time during fleeting lighting conditions. Trying to use a filter wrench on just part of a rotating filter still ends up being a time- and energy-wasting fiasco.</p>

<p>I put most filters in stacks but keep the rotators in the cases they came in.</p>

<p>Hmm maybe a 6-stop would be better - I had completely forgotten about the viewfinder 'issue' :) I should also add that a 6-stop or 10-stop B+W would (at least in the UK) be about the same cost as a 3-stop from B+W or Hoya so I'll just go for whichever one is going to give the best effect.</p>