Travel Insurance - Italy

cham_saranasuriya

<p>We are planning a trip to Italy. Just wanted to check which insurance company offers personalised cover for expensive photographic equipment in UK to travel Europe? I know State Farm insurance in USA offers this to USA residents, but it does not provide cover for non-residents. Any tips? Many thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Hi Cham:<br>

Do you have insurance on your home or car, or on the contents of a rental flat? The same insurance company should be able to give you insurance on your camera gear. Here in Canada, most insurance companies will provide a "rider" insurance clause for things like cameras and jewellery. I would think that UK companies would do the same. <br>

regards<br>

Santo</p>

<p>Most UK travel insurance will have fairly low limits on loss/theft/damage to goods whilst overseas. </p>

<p>You stand a better chance of getting extensive cover for high value equipment by taking out a specific camera insurance, or by preference an all risks extension to a home contents policy. The latter is liable to provide better value, but of course if you don't have home contents cover, or the terms of your specific policy don't offer this cover, then a specific camera insurance cover will be your only practical option. In this case you will need to be very careful in reading the terms and conditions of policies looking particularly at exclusions and excesses (deductibles). These policies are not usually very good value. I got mine through Williamson Carson - <a href="http://www.williamsoncarson.co.uk">www.williamsoncarson.co.uk</a> after looking at most of the people that advertise in the photo mags and concluding that they weren't offering much cover. </p>

• 2 weeks later...