Wedding Album Design

preston_harper

<p>I am in the process of making a sample album for my customers and could use some advice. Does anyone have any ideas how the flow should be structured? For example, I remember reading 1st page could be invitation and rings, second bride getting ready, third bride and bridesmaids, etc.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Preston,<br>

Album design is very time consuming and detailed. Your questions are very basic, so you may be better off using a design service. Many album companies and labs offer a design-print-bind service and it's not all that expensive. If you choose to do the design work yourself, it may be best to at least start by outsourcing it by using an expert. ...-Aimee</p>

<p>Ditto Aimee.</p>

<p>Albums are expensive and sophisticated - and they should feel that way to the client. If you're unsure where to start then you'd be better outsourcing it to someone who'll do a good job. I'd suggest the time to think about designing your own is only after you've seen a few and are hungry to provide your own creative direction.</p>

<p>Albums produced by non-experts are immediately recognisable. They tend to look amateurish and cheap.</p>

<p>However, to answer your question - you need to download something like Photojunction and take a look at the starter templates.</p>

<p>If you work the design yourself, take some time to study good design principles.</p>

<p>I use Fotofusion and have client input through the process. So for me, design services are moot.</p>

<p>I usually begin with a shot of the Bride (most of my couples love that opening page), just a simple portrait or full length. Then the getting ready (hers and his), then the guests arriving/details, then ceremony, formals, reception/details and finally a romantic shot to close out the book.</p>

<p>Not what I do on every book, but its a very broad question you pose.</p>

<p>The general flow is sequence based, with portraits of the couple, both together and separate, placed to fill out the story. For instance, portrait of the couple at the beginning, then portraits of each of them separately--this tells us whose wedding it is, and looks at each of the participants. A great romantic portrait (or candid image) of the couple at the end, as David describes... The day in sequence in between. These simple devices has been used for a long time. However, you can do anything you or your clients want. You can start off with a bang at the beginning of the ceremony, and go backward in time to look at the participants. Think of it as a movie script.</p>

<p>Usually when I design my albums I try to tell the story so the album has flow. I usually start with a photo of the program or rings for wedding albums with their names and date, then the bride getting ready, ceremony, formals, portraits, and so on. <br>

What has helped with my album design is the program Album DS. I got it about a year ago and it is AWESOME! It's the only program that works within photoshop and there are hundreds of layered templates that you can resize to fit whatever album you're doing. Check them out at <a href="http://www.albumds.com">www.albumds.com</a></p>

• 9 months later...

<p>

It's really a preference and doing what you feel is right and tells a beautiful story. I usually open up my albums with a shot of the bride and groom. Something that feels like their beginning together or an amazing WOW shot. Something to open up the album that stands out.

Check out some examples at mystorybookromance.com.

~Dani

</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...