Minolta Hi-Matic Meter malfunction

<p>Good evening -<br>

Wondered if anyone has experience with or repairing Minolta Hi-Matic.<br>

I am reviewing a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 and a couple things appear to me. First, if I insert the appropriate replacement battery and put on any shutter speed except 'A' for Automatic shutter speed, the meter inside reads approx 11 EV (about the middle) . If I place it on 'A' shutter priority, the meter is 'pegged' to 5.5 / Top of view finder. (I know that the "A" setting moves a relay inside the lens housing which interrupts the circuit which is contributing to the difference in the reading). Moving the aperture ring also has no effect on meter reading.<br>

However, moving the lens in and out of light fails to move the meter either, so doesn't appear to be responding to light values at all.<br>

If I remove the battery altogether, the meter is 'pegged' at top as well, so appears some sort of juice is being conducted when it is installed.<br>

Everything else seems to be appropriate after having to replace a few screws and corroded wire connections inside the lens housing. Also had to glue back the ISO / CDS meter slide that compensates for allowing light to hit the CDS meter appropriately.<br>

So let me know if you too think like it sounds like the battery is doing what it should, and what else I may check. I'm not sure how to access the battery wire area. Took off the bottom/top/and most of lens housing..but didn't want to get too intrusive unless i had to. The plastic ring in the battery compartment doesnt seem to either pop out or unscrew.<br>

Anyway, thanks for reading and letting me know. Cheers, Steve</p>

<p>Yours is working as it should, <em>but </em>moving the camera in and out of light should change the EV value. In my observation, the camera is happy to select an aperture value if you have the shutter speed ring set to a specific number and the aperture ring set to A but it is not happy to select a shutter speed if you have the aperture ring set to a specific number and the shutter speed ring set to A. Very nice rangefinder, even if the EV system is a little quirky. If you have both rings set to A, the meter will recognize light changes, adjust the aperture as needed, but it seems to fire at one speed...maybe 1/60?<br>

Jon</p>

<p>Thanks Jon. Half the fun is learning of the quirks of each model and giving them their proper due in my opinion. I'll give your full auto suggestion a shot and see if the meter will change the aperture setting..that will at least start to narrow down my places to look next too. Cheers, Steve</p>