Canon T90 MLU modification

jo_a

<p>Has anyone had, or uses, a Canon T90 modified with mirror lock up(MLU) option? I wrote to Steve S. of Camera-care.com to ask him if he could do the mod, he said he doesn't do it and doesn't recomend to have it done. I have a T90 that needs to be serviced for the famous "EEE" error, and was hoping to have the MLU mod done. I'm mostly into macro and was looking into either a FTb or an EF (old style), but I really don't want to carry two camera bodies--if possible--just to have the MLU option. I doubt I would risk one my T90's, but wanted to know a bit more about the MLU mod, both success and horror stories.</p>

<p>I did find a step by step link to the mod, for those brave souls:<br>

http://web.archive.org/web/20060428013527/www.canonfd.com/ketil/</p>

<p>For many of the times when mirror lock-up is needed you might be better off using a different camera. For macro work the ability to change the finder is especially helpful. You can change the focusing screen in a T90 but not the finder. Macro work is done at a more deliberate pace and does not benefit as much from features which make the T90 a good camera for action shooting. The F-1N has no mirror lock-up. It's true that the older cameras like the FTb/FTbN/EF have mirror lock-up but they don't allow you to change the focusing sxreen or the finder. For these reasons I would recommend an F-1 or F-1n. They both accept the L screens. The F-1n finder should be slightly brighter because of a modification to the mirror's coating. </p>

<p>I have Ketil Johansen's MLU unit. It works as it should, requires only a few wires to be soldered to the camera's circuitry, does not require any irreversible changes to the camera, does not interfere with any camera functions, and it can be installed with ease by someone with proper mechanical and soldering experience.</p>

<p>I suppose that technically, it is a mirror pre-fire unit, not a lockup. A combination of button presses releases the mirror, then the shutter can be released at one's convenience. The mirror pre-fire can be cancelled too, leaving the camera ready for a conventional firing sequence.</p>

<p>There can be no metering or auto-exposure while the mirror is up, of course.</p>

<p>I think the unit was a complete success. I'd even say that as a retrofit it was brilliant. Unless there is a story out there I haven't heard, there are no horror stories. Mark may be right, however; Ketil may not be producing them any more.</p>

<p>Thank you Alan. Did you notice any real improvemnt with the "MLU pre-fire" activated? And at what focal length(for telephoto) or magnification did you see the improvement? It's nice to know that the mod can be reversed if necessary. Of course all this is pretty much academic if Ketil is not making the boards anymore!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Macro work (...) does not benefit as much from features which make the T90 a good camera for action shooting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well. The ability to use multiple flashes (300TL) with TTL or the ring lite ML3 with TTL is VERY useful for macro work.</p>

<p>Josue`,</p>

<p>Are you referring to Steve S. of Camera Clinic? (http://cameraclinic-usa.com)? If so I'm a little surprised that he would say he doesn't recommend it. The three mods available for the T90 (including adding MLU) are his specialty, and at least on the website he still advertises that he does them. If you were referring to someone else then by all means give <em>this </em> Steve a call and see what he has to say about it. He has a very good reputation for T90 work.</p>

<p>But to answer your question, I had the mods done on <em>my </em> T90 and have had no problems with them at all. The MLU in particuar works great, and I have never had any issues with it. Nor have I heard of any horror stories associated with it. Since I do mostly landscape work with the T90 adding the MLU function was a logical choice, and one which I have never regretted. As far as I know it is a relatively "safe" procedure, at least when done by someone like Steve.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you referring to Steve S. of Camera Clinic? (http://cameraclinic-usa.com)?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, he was referring to a different Steve. I'm pretty sure Steve at the Camera Clinic in Reno does the MUP mod since it's still listed as an offered service.<br>

<a href="http://www.cameraclinic-usa.com/page2.html">http://www.cameraclinic-usa.com/page2.html </a><br>

Recommended.</p>

<p>Jeff A. and Howard<br>

It's Steve S. from Camera-Care.com. I'll check with the "other" Steve S.</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies. As I said, I need to have one of my T90's serviced (EEE error), and was hoping to have the MLU mod done.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, it seems we have two out of two for the MLU. Steve from cameraclinic-usa.com says he doesn't do the MLU mods anymore.<br>

So, Mr. Applegate, would you be willing to sell your modded T90 for, let's say, $20, you pay for shipping, and include some film as well :) :)</p>