Wedding couple wants to meet in person to edit slideshow after contract was finished.

I've been shooting weddings for a little while now with my new business, however I recently shot a small wedding, delivered the images/slideshow and got paid. Now the couple wants to meet me in person to go over the slide show and pick out which images they want.

<br />

I gave over 350 images and I have a lot more that I was planning on deleting.

<br />

How do most photographer handle these situations? Should I charge them my standard hourly rate for shooting ($100/hr) or will they give me a hard time saying that I'm only sitting at a computer with them and not shooting. I don't think I have the confidence to argue a $100/hr fee even though that's what my time is worth.<br />

<br /> <br /> They don't seem interested in just listing which photos they want added to the slide show via email

<p>Didn't you edit the pictures before you gave them to the customer? Then tell them they are already edited. I had a few customers like this in my portrait business. They want love and attention. Give them a little if you have the time, otherwise just tell them the editing is done.</p>

<p>Your $100/hr pays for your expertise as a photographer, whether that's using a camera, sorting/editing images on a computer, or offering advice on any topic at all. That's my view, anyway. If you don't think you're worth $100, nobody here can convince you otherwise.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply Bruce Cahn, I edited the photos and gave it to them along with a finished slide show.<br>

But, they want to go through all the photos one by one and build a new slideshow with me, in person. This can be a time consuming practice and my office workstation isn't exactly as tidy as my reception area.</p>

<p>You should delete all the pictures that did not give to the client. No reason for keep extra photos in your computer after the contract is fulfilled. You may as courtesy and good business relations offer help to rearrange the images that are already in the slide show. You gave your best shots and should not have to show anybody your images that did not meet your standard to give to client. Sandy Labana</p>

<p>If your time is money, just find the cheapest lab you can and make one 4x6 print of each good image you have. When the couple shows up, let them 'borrow' the 4x6 prints to make the slide show sequence...just be sure to stamp your studio name on the front of each 4x6. When the couple returns the prints, you can collect your 'fee' for making the second slide show CD according to their wishes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>I don't think I have the confidence to argue a $100/hr fee even though that's what my time is worth.<br /></em><br>

<em></em><br>

Why would you be arguing? If they asked you to just give them a hundred dollars, would you lack the confidence to say no? If you are under no obligation then why is it a problem to require a fair deal?</p>

<p>Are you sure they want to see 'every' photo that was taken from the shoot? Or are they saying they want to revise the slideshow with the existing photos you've already provided? Maybe just speaking with them a little more to clarify, and during that advise them that if they want to go through everything, it would be at your normal rate...since you have to spend time doing this instead of out doing another photoshoot, there is no reason not to charge your normal rate. I think a good conversation between you would clear everything up. They may very well expect that this will cost them extra.</p>

<p>Why don't you just post the images you want them to see online and do it for free? This should be a quick thing for you to do. If they want another slideshow, then work something out with them. This couple or any customer can be a great way to bring business to you or to send business away from you. Which do you prefer? Look at the big picture here. If they're unhappy with the original product, then it's up to you to make them happy on your time....-Aimee</p>

<p>I'm not sure it's clear (from you) what they want. Do they want to review the images and select some for additional prints? Just looking for your advice on which would print well?</p>

<p>If they have the slide show, are they looking for a different delivery medium? Printable CD files? Paper prints?</p>

<p>What will meeting in person offer that they don't get from viewing the slideshow?</p>

<p>BTW, storage space is cheap. A couple of added print sales will pay for storing the images from this and many other events. Don't delete them. That's a stack of potential sales at a minimal storage cost.</p>

<p>However, it might be worth clarifying what it is they want to do before determining pricing the time. You might choose to apply a fee for time if there are no sales (seems odd that they just want to look at images though) and if there are sales, then absorb the meeting time in the print prices. </p>

<p>Honesty is you best bet. Tell them that you don't have an 'office'. If you have a laptop then turn this around and schedule a visit to their home. That would be a service and much easier to charge.</p>

<p>In regards to charging a fee, the time you spend with them is time you could be doing another paying job. I would not show them the additional pictures (as they don't exist and you've already given them the ones that worked out).</p>

<p>Basically they are asking for another job. However, if they are unhappy with the end result, even after they paid you and later changed their mind, then work out some kind of deal. Let them know it's in your best interest to make them happy and feel that you're giving them a break because your time is money. Most folks think that what we do is quick and easy, a little education goes a long way.</p>

<p>Just explain to them that you would be happy to take out the images in the slide show they don't want. Explain that.... you want to(surely you want to serve your clients), but, ...."Unfortunately I cannot sit with you to do this, as I am not setup to do so, and my fees would be at an hourly basis of $150 per hour with a minimum of 1.5hours". (shooting at $100 fine, sitting with clients over your shoulder costs more IF you are willing to do that). years back starting out, I used to do work with a client beside me. About a decade ago, I said I would never again do work with a client beside me. I wouldn't have it any other way regardless if it is a messy home studio, or a full studio, specially the latter.<br>

It is the difference of you being a photographer/artist, or a "tool" for someone else regardless of how small the request. (imho)</p>

<p>As Aimee said....posting them online would make it easy. Editing out images from a slide show should be easy to do with no charge. Presenting ones you are not happy would be a diservice to them and yourself.</p>

<p>Why don't you just meet with them and see what it is that they want? Maybe they want to pick out some images for you to print or put into an album. Maybe they want you to make a new version of the slideshow for their parents, friends, etc. Any of those projects you can charge for. This could be a potential for new business. But I don't think you should charge for the consultation unless you want them to think you're difficult and a tightwad.</p>

<p>Bottom line: unless they ask for something unreasonable, you should strive to make them as happy as possible. Happy customers might give you repeat business and/or referral business. Unhappy customers will give you a bad reputation.</p>

<p><em>Why don't you just meet with them and see what is they want?</em><br /><em></em><br>

Because the client already told him what they want. </p>

<p>Plus, Anon would also have to spend gas money and time driving across town or launch a big cleanup operation and then expose himself (anon already told us he lacks the confidence to say no) to a 'since you are already here, why don't you just do what we want' situation. If clarification is really needed, he should call them instead.</p>