Seiko Shutter

john_flavell

John,

Alledgedly the later Copals are supposed to be better, but the Mamiya TLRs used Seiko shutters, and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I have three Mamiya TLR lenses with Seikos and they are accurate and consistent. My guess is that the biggest liability would be repair parts if needed. I certainly wouldn't let a Seiko separate me from a bargain!

Thanks!

Steve

They are very high quality and lighter than their Copal 0 counterparts. Likewise they won't take quite the abuse the Copals will. But if you are a back-packer counting every gram there are some stupendous little Fujinon's from the 1980's that nearly always show up in Seikosha. Anybody know what year they switched? They are easy to clean because the escapement comes out as an assembly instead of a bunch of individual tiny parts. Some people worry that the inertia of the rotating cocking lever that snaps back to it's beginning position when the shutter is fired might cause movement. I have many VERY sharp pictures from lenses with these shutters.

I have a Bronica ETRSi that uses Seiko shutters. I've never had a problem with them. However, I have had several lenses for LF cameras that used Seiko shutters that were a problem. The LF Seikos had a problem with sticking open if they weren't regularly CLA'd. After spending $60-75 every year or two, I decided to sell those lenses and replace them with lenses using Copals. The Copals have never needed CLA.

I have had two Fujinon lenses which came in Seiko shutters. I have found

that, as Jim suggests, they are great light weight shutters, however are a bit

sensitive to abuse. In my case, two months in a particularly dusty desert

required cleanings of both Seikos, but neither of my two Copals. On the other

hand, my NEW Compur requres cleaning every time I look at it. Your milage

may vary.