Corrupt RAW files

ryan_warner

<p>I'm having some issues with a good amount of .RAW files that are corrupted and am looking for solutions. In total I took about 270 images but have only been able to extract 70 from my memory card. I have a Canon 30D adn have never had an issue with the memory card before, it's only about 8 months old. I tried to use DPP (newest version) to open them but I get an "Image is corrupt" error message. Now DPP will preveiw the image and I can see it on the camera. When I just try to copy the images off the card (removed from the camera and in a reader) I get a "The peramiter is incorrect" error message from windows. I tried using DPP, lightroom, photoshop and windows image veiwer to extract the image with the same results. Anyone ever experiance this or have an solutions?</p>

<p>What memory card are you using? The age of the card does not necessarily indicate if it will fail. I had a Sandisk 4GB Extreme III fail on me after 3 weeks - I was able to recover the files with the included software. I am almost 100% sure that your problem is the CF card. Just buy another one - they are dirt cheap these days- and see if your problem won't go away - I bet it does.</p>

<p>First time I've run into the issue with the card. I'm running a file recovery software right now. I only turned the camera on and off twice throught out the day. All the corrupt files are after the first on-off, so I'd agree that it's the card. But it's not like I can reshoot the images so I want to recover the ones that I've lost. Any good suggestions other then what I am already doing about the issue, maybe something I'm missing here?</p>

<p>Bingo! I was going to suggest to check the card reader connections, too. I had trouble using one via a USB hub built into my monitor... Got a lot of corrupted files during transfer. I stopped using it. The card reader works fine when plugged directly into one of the USB ports on the computer.</p>

<p>Another thought, do you regularly format the CF card before shooting? I make a habit of doing an in-camera format every time I insert a card. If your card isn't formatted regularly, it can build up a lot of extraneous, residual data and that might cause problems. Also, switching a card from one camera to another, it should always be formatted first thing.</p>

<p>However, avoid formatting the card in your computer. It's unlikely that the file structure the computer puts on it will be fully compatible with your camera.</p>

<p>Besides the above USB hub issue, the only other memory failure I've ever had with any digital camera was when I popped the door open too quickly... Clearly a "user error". D'oh! So, I think regular formatting - in camera - helps a lot.</p>

<p>Some of the image recovery programs work fairly well. Both Lexar and Sandisk provide it from their websites, but I think they've gotten smart and are starting to charge for it.</p>

<p>I've used the Lexar s'ware most and it includes memory checking and mapping utility, which will mark bad sectors on cards so they aren't used. There's extra "headroom" built into most cards so that you won't even see a change in the card's capacity doing this. By the way, I think this is also usually done at the factory before cards ship out for sale... Some bad sectors aren't at all uncommon even on a brand new card... You just never are aware of them because they are mapped and marked this way.</p>