D50 better than D300 in ISO

rob_piontek

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I just downloaded the demo of DxO and had a look at the raw files posted above (by me). You could do the same. I left everything on default, except turned off the "DxO Lighting" feature, which I think is similar to Nikon's ADR. I installed the modules for the D40/D300 and 17-55.</p>

<p>From simply looking at noise, I'd say it's a wash at 1600. Trying to compare sharpness and resolution is difficult. At the default settings, you can see that the resolution of the D300 is better, but it also looks softer. I think in large prints there would not be much difference between the two. Probably the D300 would win, but not by much, and only if you look close.</p>

<p>So, after comparing 3 different raw converters, I just don't see it. In terms of image quality, the D300 has a slight resolution advantage over the D40, but that's it.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Just my two cents. I just bought a used D300 with 17K actuations on the shutter. The camera is in mint condition and feels great in the hand. As for the noise issue, my "little" D50 is better in noise control at all iso. This is just my experience using my two eyes to view the images on screen. No scientific BS, just plain ol' carefully reviewing the images on screen. I don't know why or care, just stating the facts with my two cameras...D50 and D300. Keep shooting...Peace. BTW, my D50 has 8K actuations on the shutter.</p>