Packing for Day Trips

keith_bogut

<p >I have a question for those of you that use internal frame packs for your camera gear. I’m not interested in overnight camping and all the gear that goes with it, but rather just taking day long hiking trips with my camera gear (5 lenses, body, tripod, and the usual assortment of filters, lens cleaners, manuals, etc) a lunch, rain suit, water bottle, and a sweater or jacket. Even with a small pack, I’ll have a lot of extra room left (haven’t bought it yet, but thinking of an Osprey Stratus 18 or 24).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Obviously, I’m not going to be carrying enough clothing to wrap all the lenses in. I figured I’d buy individual padded lens cases (recommendations?) and a padded case for my 20D body (though I haven’t found one). I figure I can stow small parts and pieces (cards, batteries, etc) in Tupperware or something similar. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My question is how to pack the gear so that it’s readily available, but not bouncing around loosely at the bottom of the pack. I have searched this forum and found many previous posts about which pack is best, etc, but they all seem to focus on more extended trips with tents, bags, and cooking gear. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>You'll find that four separate lens cases is terribly bulky. Assumption: fifth lens is mounted. I've stacked two short lenses in one long lens (e.g. telephoto) case, separated by ample padding. When packing the pack I aim to keep the lenses near my back in case I topple backward.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the packs you mentioned. One <em>make or break</em> feature my packs must have is an extendable top lid, which allows over-stuffing the pack when need be. I'm a big fan of WildThings packs. They are very light, no frills and very durable.</p>

<p>For the purpose of a day trip I have a dedicated camera backpack. It's got a lightweight daypack attached for carrying extras (light jacket, water, food), and I usually have a fanny pack (pack carried in the front so it doesn't interfere with the backpack) for things (filters, binocs) that I want handy. <br>

I do have padded lens cases that I use when I want to go super lightweight with minimal equipment. I put all that stuff in a standard daypack. I usually carry my camera attached to the tripod and slung over my shoulder, but if I put the body in the pack it just goes in a plastic bag and gets placed inside the pack so that it doesn't gouge me. Clothing can help with additional padding, but should not contact your gear directly.<br>

One thing you definitely don't want to do is wrap your lenses in clothing! Eventually, the lint will get into your lenses and require professional cleaning. This I learned the hard way.</p>

<p>I've often though of investing in a nice camera specific pack but I like this setup because I can use much of my existing, multi-purpose, gear.</p>

<ul>

<li>A medium capacity panel loading day/backpack. I use an old Gregory. I can even strap a large tripod to the side. I purchased this pack because a Lowe camera bag I have fits perfectly inside the bottom of the pack.</li>

<li>The above mentioned Lowe camera bag that holds several medium sized lenses and seldom accessed gear. </li>

<li>A fanny pack, again a Lowe, that holds a body, the lens I will be using mostly, flash, filters, and commonly accessed gear. I can fit this fanny pack in the day pack although I too usually wear it in the front.</li>

</ul>

<p>There's room for snacks, sweater, small first aid kit, water, etc. and the pockets on the front of the panel holds rain gear, guide books, and a reflector.<br>

This system is certainly not as convenient as one of the newer camera packs but I also saved a lot of cash (that I can spend on better glass).</p>

<p>I have been using a LowePro Offtrail 2 belt pack system for what you are doing. It has every advantage over a backpack. It takes weight off my back, making me more stable. I don't have to set a backpack down in the mud, and I can easily access everything while keeping the beltpack on. I use suspenders on the belt to better distribute the load. I can add or remove lens pouches as needed.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Keith,<br>

I have a Lowe Alpine Contour Mountain 45 (I thinks it's about 2300 ci) backpack I use most of the time. Inside is raingear and first aid, and a pocket for a bladder. If no bladder, a liter bottle goes in an outer pocket. The other pocket holds a Feisol tripod's legs, the side strap at the top secures it near the ballhead. The back has a snow shovel flap you can secure--I carry snowshoes in it, or my fleece etc as I de-layer) I might carry a lens (usually a macro) in the pack, as well as a plastic bag with film and cards. It all finds it's settling point and doesn't shift much--if using a bladder, that compresses room inside as well. The front zip compartment pouch on the outside carries lunch and snacks, and some small odds & ends. The camera goes on a neck strap (op-tech which are comfortable for a long hike). I may also carry a 2nd body on a strap or in the pack. The lenses: one on camera (17-35 or 28-80), the former not used in a pouch on my LowePro Street & Field belt. Another pouch on the other side carries my 80-200, and a small pouch next to that my split ND's. Thus the weight is dristibuted more evenly, some on the hips, some on the back. I carry trekking poles for downhill to save the leg/knee poundage. I shave weight wherever I can & still be safe. The lenses are all f/2.8's so they aren't exactly light. However, I did 7.5 miles and 3400 feet with this two days ago. If you are doing something short you can carry a tripod & attached camera on your shoulder, but a bigger day hike you need tripod secured, arms free. BTW, the camera doesn't bouce much--the hip belt goes over the strap, holding it pretty flat & as tight as you want to make it against the stomach. Winter adds more gear and on a longer hike I usually omit a lens. I have not found a camera backpack comfortable enough for several miles, or capable of holding enough water & non-camera gear for a good day-hike.</p>

<p>I think that the problem is having them 'individual padded' and 'readily available' at the same time. Either is easy seperately. I used to pack my mini-trekkere with everyting that I owned. So, it met the 'individual padded' requirement. But, to switch a lens I had to stop and take the pack off open it up etc. This is going to be the problem regardless of which packpack you use. Fitting the non-camera gear in seperate compartment in a carmera bag is easy, but it not going to be 'readily available'.<br>

Now I put four lens and 2x extender in a fanny pack with a few filters in the side pocket and everything is 'readily available' and I can switch much eaiser. The only lens that I have that I can't fit is my 200mm 2.8. So, when I need that kind of reach, I use my 100mm 2.0 with a 2x extender and settle for the slower speed. Sometimes I leave out the 2x extender and crop the 100mm, but that's a different debate that's been beaten to death.<br>

A third opting is to do like many of the PJ's. Two bodies with big heavy fast zooms, one log, one wide, no pack or fanny pack. Carry both cameras all the time. Raise the one the fits the shot and shoot. This is the setup that is really ''readily available'.<br>

IMO, a pack back is usally overkill for a simple day trip. The only time that I've used mine in years is when I'm traveling. It meets everyone's carry on requirements. When I arrive at the hotel I load up the fanny pack, which is in the pack pack while I'm in transit.<br>

You might want to consider a vest. I have a photographers vest but have never actually used it. Often I don't even back the fanny pack. If it's not to hot I wear a wind breaker with a lens in each pocket and a few filters in the inside pocket. It the winter when I am wearing my winter coat I put the four lenes in the four pockets. The biger lenes in the side pockets and the smaller ones in the brest pockets, filters inside pocket, extra battery in front pants pocket, extra card(s) in left fron pants pocket, lens cap for lens on camera in left hip pcoket, maps ect in right hip pocket. That way I'm never fumbling or looking for things and generally don't need to remove my gloves.</p>

<p>I use an L.L. Bean continental pack that has a semi-rigid back and waist and cheast straps. I then pack my Lowe Pro Nova 2 AW in to the bottom of it. This leaves room for a 70-210/2.8, 400/5.6, jacket, hat, lunch, a couple of water bottles, map, compass, sun block, extra film and snacks in the bag as well as being able to attach a tripod to it and still have a little bit of extra room.<br>

If I don't want to pack it to to much then the Nova 2 is very easy to get to. Of course packed to the max it is a bit harder to get to, but I can pack must of the stuff under the bag (such as jacket, etc) with the camera bag on top. It actually makes it a little easier to get in to as the top of the Nova 2 is up higher and I can just flip the top up to grab something out of it.</p>

<p>I've gone back and forth between a backpacking pack, with its comfort, and a dedicated camera pack with its convenience. I started putting out with my 4x5 field camera and lenses in homemade leather cases in a Kelty pack and found myself going low grade crazy trying to find assorted items.<br>

For the past 10-15 years or so, I've been using the Lowepro packs and have been much happier. The only caveat is that most of the dedicated camera packs are a bit heavy, though if you look carefully at specs you can find decent lighter ones.<br>

Personally I could never carry even my digital camera around my neck while hiking, the darn thing weighs five pounds. I'd need a neck brace after 2 miles. I also have never quite understood the need for quick access when hiking, unless you are photographing wildlife. I find a spot, stop, and look around. If it's good, I take off my pack, get out the camera, set up my tripod, look around some more, and make the image. It's pretty much the same process whether I'm carrying the digital or the 4x5, though my hiking speed is rather slower with the 4x5. If you just lift the camera, grab a shot and move on, save your energy and money and carry a point and shoot.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>In my early years I used to do weekend over night hikes and just carried just a camera with lens. Now days I do day hikes with a few 35mm lenses, small carbon tripod and body. I have a couple of Lowe Pro backpacks small and med for longer hikes and a Think Tank ChangeUp for short hikes. I use old thick hiking socks for small lense protection in the pack. I don't worry about quick access as I am walking and when I find something of interest I stop. I carry rain gear, water, powerbars plus other needed items when needed. I ususally do a local walk in the woods with a body, 500mm f4 and carbon tripod carried on a wide sling across my chest. About 16 pounds and good for me for a couple of miles only.</p>

<p>I really like my comfortable daypack and am too cheap to get a dedicated photo backpack so here is what I do, hopefully interesting if not informative:</p>

<p>(*) A piece of foam (like from a sleeping pad) on the bottom of the pack as a little extra padding in case stuff gets shuffled around.</p>

<p>(*) Then lunch, pack rain cover, jacket, and stuff I don't anticipate needing access to repeatedly.</p>

<p>(*) Then lenses in sleeves near the top of the pack. I usually carry a 17-40 and macro in sleeves with a 24-105 on the body. I also keep some spare gallon ziplock bags to put the lens sleeves in if I know I be hiking for extended periods in wet weather.</p>

<p>(*) The camera body goes in a small zoom case attached the sternum strap or waist belt of the pack depending on my mood.</p>

<p>(*) Other camera widgets, map, compass, blah, blah in the pack's other pockets. I usually keep the various camera widgets in ziplock bags so I can grab the whole bag out of the pack. Tripod strapped to side ski pocket.</p>

<p>(*) A short piece of rope and a beaner to hang the pack from a tree rather than setting it down in the mud/snow/dust.</p>

<p>I really try hard not to carry too much gear with me if I can help it. Also, the Osprey packs have very good compressoin systems so tightening those up should help keep thigs from jostling around too much. Oh, I also consider a hat to be an essential... any type of hat with a big brim that fits over the camera without having to take the hat off. The hat keeps the bugs, rain, and sun off my head and lets me see the viewfinder better.</p>

<p>There is no substitute for the safety and convenience of a well designed CAMERA bag. LowePro has a relatively new line of dual-use backpacks with dedicated space for both hiking and camera gear.</p>

<p>Many backpacks have ways to carry tripods. However, it is highly inconvenient to take the pack off each time you need to use it, and a tripod that actually fits inside a bag is more for show than utility. When hiking, I carry a substantial tripod (Gitzo GT-3540LS) using a shoulder strap.</p>

<p>I have been using a Lowepro Rover AW II camera backpack for about a year and it works pretty well. It holds 4 lenses, my flash and my camera with a lens attached in the bottom compartment. The top compartment is open like a regular backpack to hold my first aid kit, spare socks, lunch, whatever. My tripod fits in the holder on the front of the pack when I am not using it. It has a thick waist belt with the accessory loops and the straps adjust easily while the pack is on. This set up works okay. I usually end up having the camera slung across me (never around my neck) and any small lenses and misc. camera stuff that I might need quickly in the mesh side pockets or strapped to the accessory loops. It was a little expensive, but I have always found that Lowepro bags are very durable and tend to have a decent resale value. One big downside to this bag is that it is very long. Probably not a problem for the average man, but I am a 5'3" female and I had a hard time getting it adjusted to a point where I could hike several miles comfortably. It can get heavy too. I just pull out the all weather cover if I have to set it down in the mud. </p>

<p>Alternatively, I have seen some standalone pouches for holding cameras and leneses that can be slipped into any bag. I think Crumpler makes some and maybe Tenba. That might be an alternative for you if you want to use a regular bag. You could also buy some HD foam and just make your own to custom fit the bag you want to use. Another ultra cheap route would be to double up some bubblewrap bags for the lenses. I did that for a long time when I was in school.</p>

<p>Thanks one and all for your counsel. I'm going to reasses my thinking in light of your comments. I agree that separate lens cases are not very fast (and they also weigh a lot). I like the idea of inserts ala Tenba, etc. I looked into them at B&H and they are relatively cheap and look very functional. I've also looked at the Lowepro backpacks, and although they are great systems for camera gear, the "backpack" sections are very small, they weigh a lot (5 lbs or so), and they are pretty spendy. I also like the idea of adding some additional padding in the bottom of the pack, using bubble wrap, and making my own custom holders.</p>

<p>Thanks also for questioning the need for having everything at the ready. When I thought back of past excursions, I realized that the need to be "ready" may be over emphasized (at least in my case). Having that camera around my neck is definitely a strain. I'm going to try keeping it in the bag until I see something I want to shoot.</p>

<p>You guys are great. I've learned so much from these forums. Thanks.</p>

<p>I have a very comfortable day backpack with a water bladder insert. I put extra jackets, water, etc. in the bottom of my pack and on top of those I have a tall skinny camera bag that I have cut all the extra weight off of (straps, etc.). It holds my lenses and camera accessories with cushioned dividers, and is easily accessible from the top of my backpack. I carry my camera around my neck or neck/arm and put it in a Zing neoprene bag attached to my pack belt. It rides at my waist in front, takes the weight off the neck strap, is protected by the neoprene bag (which has a drawstring to keep it from falling out), and is quickly accessible if a critter appears. I also like the weight distribution so all the weight isn't behind me. (And the tripod goes over the shoulder.)</p>

<p>I'm beginning to believe that there's no such thing as a comfortable day pack. I'm the opposite of Katherine, I'm a 5'10" tall woman and find straps on packs sometimes too short. I sewed up my own padded canvas tripod bag with shoulder strap, better to carry and the padding is good to kneel on when using the camera and tripod. I get irritated with having to slip a backpack off and on when I'm hiking around and come across something I want to shoot, mostly I just use a beat up old camera bag that hangs over the shoulder. The older I get the heavier equipment feels, so I've pared down to bare minimal take-alongs. Little pouch rain poncho, diet bars for lunch, water bottle that hooks on my belt. Wallet,, cellphone, and other small items go into a little waist pack. Cargo pants or a vest have pockets for little odds and ends. For lenses in the bag I use bubble wrap, either a strip tha quickly rolls up around the lens or take a scissors and some tape and make your own little pop-in pouch. Bubble wrap is light and there's no lint issues.</p>

<p>I also would suggest that you consider a vest. I have two fishing-style vests (I picked them up at a sporting goods shop [big 5] on sale for $12.00 each) They have pockets in front, back, sides that easily fit my assorted lenses. I also agree that you should limit what you are taking on a "day Trip: - envision what you want before you leave - then go get the shots. <br>

I used to take everything (waaay tooo much stuff) and have learned (in my advancing age - I'm 51) that I am a better photographer if I am comfortable and focused (mentally) on my surroundings. Diversity in your lenses-yes; Multiplicity - NO.<br>

The photographer's vests are nice - usually much more expensive - and do the same job - (why buy a Cadillac when the Chevy will do?) and maintain a more comfortable walking style.<br>

Good luck, Happy trails, and good shooting!</p>

<p>I also would suggest that you consider a vest. I have two fishing-style vests (I picked them up at a sporting goods shop [big 5] on sale for $12.00 each) They have pockets in front, back, sides that easily fit my assorted lenses. I also agree that you should limit what you are taking on a "day Trip: - envision what you want before you leave - then go get the shots. <br>

I used to take everything (waaay tooo much stuff) and have learned (in my advancing age - I'm 51) that I am a better photographer if I am comfortable and focused (mentally) on my surroundings. Diversity in your lenses-yes; Multiplicity - NO.<br>

The photographer's vests are nice - usually much more expensive - and do the same job - (why buy a Cadillac when the Chevy will do?) and maintain a more comfortable walking style.<br>

Good luck, Happy trails, and good shooting!</p>

<p>Check out the Think tank line of products. I use the lens changers for my 3 lenses and then the digital holster 40 for D300 with 12-24 attached. All of this fits inside a Dueter Futura 42 pack that is designed for weekend hikes. I can strap a Gitzo 2530 Tripod with Kirk Ball head on the outside too!<br>

The difference with hiking packs versus photo backpacks is weight. The Deuter pack is less than 3.5 lbs empty. Most photo backpacks capable of holding similar equipment plus tripod all weight 6-7 lbs empty.<br>

The hiking packs really fit better too. Think about it...Designed for long hikes with loads. The photo backpacks are okay for short walks but for me I go anywhere from 3-15miles in a day with my camera stuff plus food and water with a total pack weight of about 14-17 lbs. With a photo backpack that easily would be 22-28 lbs.<br>

Osprey and Dueter along with others really make nice lightweight packs that can be easily adapted for us photographers.<br>

If you are really set on a belt system- Think Tank is the way to go. All the parts I have can easily go on their speed belt too for local opportunities too.<br>

Chris</p>

<p> </p>

<p> I wouldnt say buying a camera backpack is the greatest thing, sure most are water proof but the zippers usually arent. Plus its extra money! A simple day pack is fine, just make sure its open. Meaning you can access every compartment from the top. Water proofing is easy use a contractor bag, or an heavy duty garabage bag. Or you could go for small seperate dry bags. Waterproofing, and dust proofing I think are the main goals and even within your Tupperware I would place everything inside a zip lock, just to make sure everything stays together if the lid so happens to fall of.<br>

As for the lenses I always use Hiking socks as my lens bag, plus even for some day hikes you can switch out clean socks to protect the blisters.<br>

Im usually out for for extended trips sometimes even months in the woods. Bad weather is going to get you one way or another.<br>

The wierdest trick I can think of is bringing a bag of Rice (not stick rice), for immediate absorbtion of condensation</p>