New flash for Canon XT and XTI

kristen_beck

<p>I have both the Canon XT and XTI. Right now I am using at Promaster 5550DX with both, but would like to upgrade the flash. I cannot afford the real pricey flashes (specifically the ones made by Canon because those seem to be the most expensive) but don't want to waste my money on a cheap-o flash either. Most of the shooting I do is indoors with a low-lighting situation, some outdoors, lots of people. Does anyone have any suggestions?</p>

<p>And as a second part to this question, I am looking for a pocket bounce to use when I cannot bounce the light off of a ceiling, etc. I have heard the Flip-It! is quite nice, but I thought I would get everyone's thoughts on here before I made a decision on what to buy. I tried out a Lumiquest pocket bounce and it was moderately useful, but not really spectacular.</p>

<p>And finally, any suggestions on how to get the most out of a new flash that I buy? Attachments, techniques, any advice would be helpful!</p>

<p>Save and get the 580EX (original or II). There aren't really any other alternatives that are cheaper than a used 580EX original. Just be sure it hasn't been severely abused.</p>

<p>Get the Demb Diffuser/Flip It. It is the most flexible and controllable.</p>

<p>Read planentneil.com, the articles on using on camera flash.</p>

<p>Anything other than a 580EXii is a cheap-o flash. Though, and please don't take offense to this, you're using a cheap-o camera to shoot weddings. (I've been there, we started on XTi's :-D). My suggestion would be to get yourself a new 50D instead or even a 5Dmark2 if you can make it happen. That camera just doesn't cut it and you are forced to use a flash one everything, but seriously don't skimp. Get the 580EXii, invest in the L glass, otherwise you'll just look like every other stay at home mom/dad who wants to be a photographer but isn't willing to invest in their business.</p>

<p>Like I said I've been there and you gotta start somewhere! :-D Best of luck!!!</p>

<p>A Canon 580EX with a 430EX for backup and multi-lite setup would be a good idea and the least expensive way to go. Invest a few dollars for this as well: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414626-REG/Blue_Crane_Digital_BC201_DVD_Understanding_the_Canon.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414626-REG/Blue_Crane_Digital_BC201_DVD_Understanding_the_Canon.html</a></p>

<p>Or a pair of 550ex s for the same as you'll spend on a 580ex2....</p>

<p> ...at $200+ a piece for good used ones, the performance to $ ratio is a heckuva lot better than a 580. And the performance will far exceed the very best 3rd party flashes, and even the 430ex2. (in my personal experience) Plus you still have the power of a full wireless E-TTL setup (as limited as IR ones may be). With a pair of 550s, you'll have more power than you'll need, and be able to practice technique (which is far more expensive than any flash unit, and far more valuable).</p>

<p>As everybody else has pointed out, your equipment is not quite up to 'professional' standards. Don't worry about it. Yes, you should spend $$$ to upgrade, but that doesn't change both what is in your bank account, and what is not there, and unless somebody is willing to give you their equipment, they really shouldn't be criticizing your choices.</p>

<p>Good luck with whatever you choose, once you delve into planned complex lighting (instead of on the fly), you'll never want to go back!</p>

I'd go with Nadine's advice.I have a 580EXII and I liked the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro so much that I have a couple now. Cathy/David, I shoot weddings with an XTi (although I'm gunning for a 5D2 ;-)) As you rightly say, one must start somewhere. It is far more important to know your tool and its limitations IMHO.

<p>Kristen, make sure you read about creative use of flash. The staple site for this (as pertains to weddings) is http://www.planetneil.com/tangents and of course for more general but uber-creative lighting, there is http://www.strobist.com

<p>I agree with everything that's been said. However, there is another approach. You could get yourself a Vivitar 285 (I think that is what Strobist recommends?) and learn to shoot the flash in manual power. Not as quick and exciting as e-TTL- but consistent. Some of the best flashes out there will be manual flashes. I love the Quantum QFlashes and I have never been able to make them work in e-TTL mode- far better to just shoot them manually. It just takes learning on your part.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>And thank you everyone for all of the awesome responses. I know my equipment is not the top of the line, but so far it has done what I need it to do without many big issues. I, of course, would LOVE to upgrade my camera body, but because I do lower budget weddings, it literally is not possible right now. Hopefully soon I will be able to though.</p>