Need additional lighting and have 2 alternatives.

Alex

<p>I'm using a 40D with a 580EX (first generation) I like to add more of a creative lighting when shooting the kids indoors and also start trying my hand to some still compositions. Ultimatly I like get some strobes. In the mean time I like to get a 580EX II and between the use of the extension cord to get the main unit of the camera and the slave capavilitie of the units I would have something to start goofing around.<br>

Now the question is. I think I can get a used 550ex, with a Canon ST-E2 transmiter and an a Canon off camera cord all in good working order for about the same cost of a new 580EX II I'd say somewere between $350 to $400. I like the idea of detaching both light sources completely for the body but if the new flash makes more sence in terms of quality I rather get the 580 EXII and get a used transmiter in the future when $$$ alows it.<br>

In your experience what would you do and why?<br>

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.<br>

Alex</p>

<p>I agree with Yakim. Get them all at once if it's a reasonable deal. I have both versions of the 580EX flash. I often prefer using the Mark I, as its user interface is easier and quicker to use, especially for switching between independent, master & slave modes.</p>

<p>Moving both lights off camera is a good idea but then you might quickly want to add a third light :-) In a two flash configuration, many people use the on-camera flash, often with a bracket, to trigger the slave, no transmitter required. BTW, at present (rebates!) you can get a brand new 580 EXII in the US for around $370.00.</p>

<p>I agree with Michael. I was never really a fan of the ST-E2- no matter how you look at it, that money could be spent on an additional flash. That flash could be used camera just to trigger the off-camera flashes- but if you happen to need it for a bit of fill you have it!</p>