Stuck iris on 70-200mm?

mcg

<p>I have a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR - my priciest piece of glass - and although about 4 years old, it has not often been used.<br /> <br /> It's recently developed a problem, which I have been told is likely due to the iris sticking and not stopping down: it's fine at f/2.8, but with smaller apertures I get increasingly grossly overexposed images.<br /> <br /> Is this a problem that many here have encountered? Is it a problem that tends to afflict some lenses rather than others? I'm bummed in that I've never had a problem with any consumer Nikkor I've owned, just now with this pro-spec lens.<br /> <br /> Also, for those who have had a similar iris problem, what sort of repair bill did you get?<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance for replies.... </p>

<p>If it were a cheaper piece of glass, I would say just keep working it and see if it works its way out. However, with that lens I would just go ahead have it serviced. If it is still under warranty it will be free. If not unless there are parts that have to replaced it shouldn't be too expensive. They will usually give you a price to let you know before they do any work. I want to say they charge 50.00 to evaluate it, I might be wrong.</p>

<p>Someone had suggested checking the lever at the back. I moved it back and forth for a bit, and it seems ok (for the moment!).<br>

When I looked at it, the lever was stuck in the max aperture position, so maybe I accidentally got it stuck there putitng the lens on wrongly? Who knows!<br>

Seems a poor show if someone else had to get it repaired twice for this, considering the price point of the lens!</p>