A little help...

rnt

<p>I'm considering purchasing a Leica as a carry-around 'street' camera and as a relief from my collection of SLR boat anchors. To this end I thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of this list to help me narrow down the list of possible candidates. Some information and thoughts that may be helpful:</p>

<p>I wear glasses.<br>

Film.<br>

Rangefinder.<br>

Relatively cheap (limited editions/gold plating not necessary).<br>

35mm F2.8 or faster lens.</p>

<p>Any help on body series, viewfinder magnification, and/or lens choices would be appreciated. Also good places to purchase used Leica equipment (KEH?).</p>

<p>I'd look for a clean CL with 40mm Summicron. The lens is one of the biggest bargains in Leicadom, the kit is very small and easy to carry, and it's a rather inexpensive entry to the Leica RF world. And if you decide you don't like that world, it's a kit that resells pretty easily.</p>

<p>KEH is a good place to buy, though not the only one. Classifieds at RFF are quite good, too --- among other places.</p>

<p>The Minolta CLE should also be considered when considering a Leica CL. It uses an available battery, and has a better finder and more accurate rangefinder. On the other hand, the plastic take-up spool is a problem, and the electronics can fail fatally.</p>

<p>What do You mean no bling! OK OK If You feel You don't need it look for a M6 (lots around) and a 35 summicron with very clean glass. If You like the old leica look get a version 3 or if You are using apo of ld pro glass with Your slr camera get the asph type glass. The best thing about leica is the wide range of glass for the look You want.</p>

<p>Some people who wear glasses are satisfied with the .72 viewfinder and the 35mm lens, but in my case switching to a .58 viewfinder made using that focal length much easier and more enjoyable. It's worthwhile trying out both versions to see which works best for you.<br>

If you opt for the .58, you can always add the viewfinder magnfier, as I do, when using longer focal lengths.</p>