Camera Questions

<p>Well i got a Nikon d40 Yeah i no not a real professional camera. But my friends brother is getting married and i was wondering can someone help me with the type of equipment you use or suggest? I'm just trying to show that im serious about doing photography and put my name out there. So please help me and thank you.</p>

<p>There are three things you need to be successful photographer.<br /> (1) Hardware: Cameras, Lenses, Flashes, Computers and ECT.<br /> (2) Software: Photoshop, lightroom, OS system and ECT.<br /> (3) Wetware: The most important thing you need. It is more important than Software and Hardware. Wetware is you and your knowledge. Without it you are dead in the water. Right now you need to build up your knowledge base and skills you can specific questions as to what gear you need and why. To give you simple example this the gear I would use, but without understanding why it is useless. I would recommend you taking a Junior college course or an adult school class so you will now what you need and why you need it.<br>

Main Camera Nikon D3<br>

Backup Cameras Nikon D70s, Nikon D2X<br>

(2) SB-800s<br>

Tokina 300mm f/2.8<br>

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR<br>

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 (Backup Secondary Kit)<br>

Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8<br>

Nikon 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 (Backup Secondary Kit)<br>

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 (Backup Secondary Kit)<br>

Nikon 12-24mm f/4<br>

2 Norman ML600R<br>

Alien Bee RingFlash<br>

2 Botero Super Collapsible Background - 8x16' backdrops<br>

A couple of Joseph M. Proscia backgrounds with autopoles.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What David S said. +</p>

<p>Perhaps starting with asking around your local photog network will get you a couple assisting jobs (you can offer to do it free for a few).This may not work too well these days as less and less photogs are willing to teach their competition. I feel that if my work is good enough, it will shine through, so having many average or even below par photogs around means you will only shine brighter (or go out of business).</p>

<p>If you know people photography pretty well and have an eye for a good picture/genuine moment, you are starting out well.</p>

<p>However, being serious about weddings does not mean you will succeed. It is an exponentially increasing field in the photography world as many believe it to be "easy money". I make more $$$ doing almost anything but weddings. Weddings are what I do because I love to do them. So, if you are approaching things for the dollar, you are likely to be disappointed sooner than later.</p>

<p>Best of luck with your friends brother. Hope you remain friends after the fact too.</p>

<p>Have they asked you to be their wedding photographer? If not, just get a good lense (or two) for your current camera, take photos on their day as a guest and see what happens. Have fun and if the results are promising, you can always invest in more equipment.</p>

<p>Recommend they hire a professional. Gain some experience before jumping in.</p>

<p>That said. For shooting weddings you can do it with the following:<br>

Nikon D300 or D700, (D40 won't cut it.)<br>

Nikor 50 1.4 and a 70-200 2.8.</p>

<p>With that equipment you could do a decent job. Anything else you can rent until you decide what you would like to work with for you main equipment. You'll also need a fast apple computer say, a 15" MacBook Pro, and Lightroom 2. Expect to spend upwards of $12k your first year in business. You'll also need an online proofing system, insurance, and a website as well as branding.</p>

<p>If this doesn't sound fun, or you want to do it cheap and only shoot weddings for sub $500, then I suggest keeping it as a hobby and just recommend hiring professionals until you have the equipment and experience. Try the book Fast Track Photographer by Dane Sanders and it will help you to decide. :)</p>