E-420/520 + 14-45 vs. Lumix LX-3

ruslan

<p>In our shops they cost approximately the same. Here comes my question - what camera gives better results, sharper images?<br>

I have tasted LX-3 today - very good results! ISO 400 is good! Do not like its small tiny controls.<br>

The most important question - is E520 better at ISO 800 (f5.6) than LX-3 at ISO200 (f2.8)?<br>

Sharpness - is 14-45 zoom sharper at all stops that summicron of this Lumix? What would you recommend?</p>

<p>The 14-54 is a mediocre lens, but I've certainly used worse (i.e. Canon 28-80). Does Olympus still sell the two lens kit with the 40-150? If so I would reccomend that- though the 40-150 obviously doesen't go as wide, its a bit faster and an all-around better lens. The 14-45 is certainly usable (expecially for beginners), but tends to yield very soft images and focuses slowly.</p>

<p>Generally speaking point and shoots tend to handle noise worse than a dSLR due to sensor size. I'm not sure if the E-520's noise at ISO-800 is the LX-3's equivalent at ISO-200. Regarding the 14-45 it should be okay if you find a good copy. I've had no issues with mine since I bought mine as a 2-lens kit in 2006. It doesn't focus super fast and it might not be that sharp for you (I have no issues). It or the 14-42 are great starter lenses and might be all the standard zoom you need.<br>

<br /> Best of fortune to you,<br /> Jesse</p>

<p>I must have gotten one of the good 14-45 lenses, when I bought my e-500 in 2006. I've continued to use it since. It's not a great lens, but I have no complaints about sharpness. I've never lost a shot because of lack of sharpness. I also use it on my e-510. Unless you're planning on action work, it focuses just fine.</p>