Co-owner working with competitor

firenikon

<p>

<p>Hi,<br /><br />I need your thought and experienced. <br /><br />I’m a co-owner, 50-50 profit / cost/ expensive; I also want to be a contractor for a competitor on same area; will it cause any conflict in business? And what’s my friend (co-owner) feeling?<br /><br />Thanks</p>

</p>

<p >Hi,<br /><br />I need your thought and experienced. <br /><br />I’m a co-owner, 50-50 profit / cost/ expensive; I also want to be a contractor for a competitor on same area; will it cause any conflict in business? And what’s my friend (co-owner) feeling?</p>

<p > <br>

Let's me make it clear; <br />we own a business, tax id, registered; we'll put our gears and equipments into company assets and share same liability<br /><br />if being someone's contractor; should I work as competitor's name or my business's name ?<br /><br />How to deal with future, like using portfolio of my own business or competitor's.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br /></p>

<p>If I were your partner, I would not want you in my business. Either you are in business with me or you are not... Going and working for a competitor is an unbelievably poor business practise, and not allowed in most industries.<br>

If you really want to do work<strong> for</strong> this other company, they should HIRE YOUR COMPANY (not just you as an individual) and you split any profits with your partner.</p>

<p>L.J. nailed it on the head.</p>

<p>Your partner could easily make a claim of conflict of interest.</p>

<p>As was stated, work for your company OR work for your competitor OR have your competitor sub-contract work to your company.</p>

<p>Since I don't know you or your partner, I can't comment on what he would be feeling. I can, however, tell you that I would feel screwed over. It's such a huge minefield.</p>

<p>I agree with what has already been said. It's shady, unprofessional and probably illegal (not sure where you are located). Don't you and your partner have an agreement in writing that states the Do's and Don'ts of this 'partnership'? I don't understand why you would consider working for a competitor though. Has this competitor contacted you or vice versa?</p>

<p>So you're asking if you should compete against yourself? Why don't you want to put more effort into your own business? And if this becomes a regular gig, you'll never be 50/50 because you'll have conflicts.<br>

If you choose to go ahead with this, dissolve your partnership. Now would be the ideal time to do it before your partner makes your life miserable and rightfully so....-Aimee</p>

<p>To be blunt: the fact one has to ask the question immediately tags one as an inappropriate partner, businessman and vendor.<br>

<br>

Business is business: one easy way to stuff yourself is to consider acting inappropriately; a second is to carry out that thought.<br>

<br>

Your are at this time: 1 loss and one play remaining. <br>

<br>

Your move ? <br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>It seems you've gone a long way to formalize your business arrangement with your partner and that proscribes your behavior. But, I don't agree that you should be demonized for considering it. It really depends on the relationship with your partner. Shouldn't you be asking him or her? I know in the music business, people go outside their bands all the time to collaborate on other projects or do other gigs and it's not considered unusual. But this isn't really that situation. In this situation I agree with the way Aimee Peters stated it. You have a 50-50 biz and want to basically compete against yourself, or actually your partner. How do you think your partner will react? Do you plan to share 50% of the take from these other gigs with your partner from working with this other person? That seems to be what your partnership would require or you might be in breach of your partnership agreement. Are you really thinking this through? Logically, you can't be in a 50-50 split it all and do what you want can you? You need to talk to your partner and either break the partnership or formally recorganize the relationship, other wise I think you would be in trouble both legally and ethcically.</p>

<p>if you're 50-50 with a current partner and you want to use the equipment to shoot with a different person I think your current partner has a real concern. you're taking equipment from "his" business and using it on another venture that profits only you.</p>

<p>yikes ... not good on any level.</p>

<p>this could only get worse if you decided to do outside work and Not Tell your current partner, imo.</p>