Holiday rates?

kat_moon

<p>I normally set two holidays (July 4th and Thanksgiving) aside to spend quality time with the family. Usually, clients contact me 12-18 months ahead of their wedding so in the past, I've always politely declined as there was still plenty of time for them to find another photographer. Now I'm in contact with a bride whose photographer bailed out on her for her July 4th wedding (this year) and she's in desperate need of a "replacement". I would hate for her to have to resort to having a friend/family member take the photos so I'm seriously considering taking this wedding. My question: how much (percentage) to you add to your standard rates for holidays or what other policy do you have in place? Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't have holiday rates, despite my husband's insistance that I'm nuts. I took a NYE wedding at the last minute this year and just charged them regular prices. You have the choice not to take the wedding at all, you're not being forced to take it, so I don't see the point in punishing a poor bride who is already finding herself in a jam. Think of the good karma and publicity you'll get for just taking it for normal price!</p>

<p>Kat, you live in a beautiful state. I skied up there a few times at Killington. Maybe someone in New England can do the job for you and turn it into a short vacation.</p>

<p>Based on where you live and the lack of qualified shooters, I think you could add a few hundred to your packages.</p>

<p>I don't charge any extra for holidays. Either I take it because I want to, or I don't. You should do what you feel is fair to both you and your potential client. What others charge aside--I'd charge what I felt compensated me, specifically, for working on a holiday normally set aside for family. The client is always free to decline.</p>

<p><em>Betty, It's very, very, very common for studios to pay their photographers more for shooting on a holiday and for boosting the studio prices on a holiday.</em><br>

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right, or something everyone needs to do. Persoanlly I think the way I work it is right for the customer. To each his own. This is probably a good reason why I would never want to work for a studio.</p>

<p>IMO, clients that plan a wedding on a well known Holiday probably understand (or should understand) that there may be some sort of premium attached to it. </p>

<p>We shot a wedding this past New Year's Eve ... not only did the clients graciously expect and accept the additional fee, they invited my wife and my assistant's husband to their wedding so they wouldn't be alone on NYE. I made extra prints for them and expanded their album to provide additional value to this kind and caring couple. </p>

<p>@David - $50-100 is not that much on a wedding package. So for a lousy 50 bucks you're going to turn the screws on a potential client who's in a jam and you'll foster bad feelings. On the flip side of the coin, the original poster said they have the day set aside for their family, so for a lousy 50 bucks, they're going to shove aside their family and work? Both ways of looking at it show no personal integrity for the photographer.</p>

<p>Either shoot it at your normal price to earn some goodwill towards you from the bride and her friends or don't shoot it at all and spend the day with your family.</p>

<p>John, if $50-100 isn't that much, then charge more. Or don't shoot it or shoot it at regular rates. To some people $50 is a serious chunk of change. Perhaps Betty is correct, "to each his own"....everyone has an opinion.</p>

<p>Kat, suggest that you place a few phone calls to area studios and ask them if they have a holiday fee for holidays and follow their lead. These are exactly the issues that benefit from networking with area pros and membership with PPA and/or WPPI.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>she's in desperate need of a "replacement". I would hate for her to have to resort to having a friend/family member take the photos so I'm seriously considering taking this wedding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps you're not being clear here. If a friend/family member is one of her choices, then she's not going to pay you a premium. If she's willing to pay you a premium, then she can surely find someone else from out of the area and pay their rates and travel.<br>

Now, are you willing to give up your personal time for another $50-100? Are your prices that tight that this would really make a difference? That's the real question. You need to decide that now, otherwise you'll be dreading dragging your butt out of bed that day and leaving your family....-Aimee</p>

<p>Where in Vermont?<br>

I lived and worked out of Stowe and often would travel 2-3 hrs to do a wedding. I've even traveled to New Hampshire to shoot. There are quite a few photographers in Burlington, Stowe, Warren area that I know personally... Email me. <br>

Meanwhile, I must confess I did not want to shoot on New Years Eve. I did once and that was enough. The bride expected that I'd charge more - the venue does and many other vendors do. </p>

<p>After that - I set the price so high (about $1,000 more) that I hoped no one would book me but what the heck - if someone really wanted to hire me that bad - I'd do it. It did happen once I set that policy... I was honest - told her I really was not keen on shooting a wedding on holidays which is why I set the price that way. She didn't care...- I gave her a nice discount on re-orders. Sorry... ;-) Just me.</p>

<p>In this case, however, I also would not take advantage of her misfortune. If I really didn't want to do it and felt sorry for her I would</p>

<p>1) offer to shoot a limited amount of time (so I could enjoy my holiday). Perhaps just the ceremony, family shots, couple session, bridal portrait and the cocktail hour and some detail shots of the tent/venue, flowers, cake and maybe even a fake cut the cake shot. Better that they get something than nothing or friends and family shooting<br>

2) help her find someone.</p>

<p>As to number two - let me know and I'll give you some names of people that travel... (If you know the budget - that would help)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had the same decision to make this year. I didn't upcharge, but did mention the fact that I hadn't planned on shooting on the fourth (y'know family time and all!), she offered to pay in full up front for a premium package... oh....okay... I guess so! The family and I are celebrating on the 5th this year!</p>

<p>Lots of people work holidays. I would look at it as unexpected, additional income. Look at it this way... How much would you PAY to have off on the 4th of July? $3000? Not me, I would never PAY $3000 for a day off. By turning away the job, you are essentially paying for a day off. Not smart business if you ask me. I say take the job, at your normal rate, and be this couple's hero. <br>

Just think, you can make added income, earn good Karma and have a happy B&G singing your praises to all of their friends and family. seems like a no-brainer to me!<br>

Best of luck!</p>

<p>Interesting way of looking at it Jennifer. However, when you are busy and booked throughout the season - it is nice to have time off. And based on your premise - If you are a person who works 5 days a week and take weekends off - you could say you are paying for two days off ;-) </p>

<p>I don't really see it that way. Lets say you work 5 days per week and have weekends off. That would not be paying for those 2 days off as there is no work to take on. However, if you worked a 5 day per week job, and your boss offered you additional hours on the weekend, and you turned it down- I would see that as paying for a day off. Why loose that additional income? (it is the same way I feel about calling out sick)</p>

<p>Now, of course, I usually work 12-16 hour days, 7 days per week anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. If, on the off chance, I manage to score a day off, I certainly won't go out of my way to book it, but I'm not gonna turn work down. If no work is available, I don't look at it as paying for a day off, as I have no real choice in the matter.</p>

<p>However, as long as taking on additional work is not going to affect the turn around time and quality of the work I have already promised other clients, I'm gonna go for it. I'll sleep when I'm dead, and I don't like my family that much anyway. I'd rather know that my bills are paid and I am earning another potential referral. </p>

<p>Wow. Sorry Jennifer. Sad story. What can I say. I guess everything comes down to personal choice. I value my quality time I guess and charge enough that I can take time for myself. I hope things get better for you or at least that you are enjoying yourself.</p>