todd_smith2

Hello All-

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone in the last week of August or

first of September. I've been there a couple of times before, but

never this time of the year. I was wondering if anyone would have

ideas about what would be happening with foliage for that time

period? Also, what will bear activity be like around then? (Is it

generally a good time, and are there any particularly active areas

then?) Finally, what is the situation with wolves for this season?

I heard the Druid pack has moved from there easily viewed area of

Lamar Valley. Are they still the best bet for observing wolves, or

are there some other hot spots? Any help would be greatly

appreciated. Please keep in mind that because of scheduling I'm

confined to one of those two week periods, so the timing can't

change. I'm mainly interested in getting information to make the

best of the time I'm there. Thank you very much!

Todd

Hi Todd

Was there last year the last week of Aug. It was too early for fall colors and the early mornings were cool enough that steam from the hot springs filled the morning sky. (which I liked) It is not the best time to view the shyer animals because the city people are out in force. I was also told that it's free during Labour Day Week. If shooting landscapes is what you are after it's ok because the City visters are still sleeping or eating diner during the good light.

Later Rick

Yellowstone in late August to early September is very crowded. If possible, I would avoid this period and at least wait until after the Labor Day long weekend. For those who have children who are returning to school in early September, you might not have a choice, of course.

One of my two visits to Yellowstore so far was in mid September. Mistakenly, I thought the crowd was gone. While that was somewhat true, it was still crowded enough that we had a hard time finding a motel room in West Yellowstone and almost had to sleep inside our rental car for a night.

And as far as foliage is concerned, even mid September was still early for Yellowstone and the Tetons. That was merely a little hint of fall color.

I am no Yellowstone expert. The 2nd time I was there was 9 years ago back in 1993. Generally speaking, in the US, after the Labor Day long weekend (Labor Day is the Monday after the first Sunday in September, i.e. early September), the crowd begins to decrease at the national parks. By late September, Yellowstone starts getting cold and you might have a small chance to run into snowstorms. The crowd should be gone but services will also begin to close down. That should be approximately the right time for fall color, but as Tuan points out, the Tetons is much better for that.

i was there last year the first few days of september and we heard of grizzly sightings in lamar valley altho we din't make it up there. none in hayden but there were moose and bison everywhere. there was water in yellowstone but none in grand tetons at this time last year. the fall colors were pretty good on trees in the tetons but i didn't find the place to be that interesting.